Heat safety

Cappy

I just finished cutting our grass with a push mower. It's .9 of an acre and today its 94 with a feels like temp of 114 cause of the humidity. How?? Take ya time monitor ya sweat and believe me you will sweat lots. Once your clothes is soaked any lil breeze will be cooling. Drink plenty water not sports drinks. If you notice your sweat slowing down drink more. Pace your self try not to get winded and watch ya heart rate if ya feel ya heart beating fast slow down thats what us country boys call moseying along. Sure it takes me 4 hours to cut it but I take it slow and steady and safely. Many a young man cant cut my yard cause they try to hard I take it easy and now that I am done its off to find another project hopefully in the shade.

jason

fear no beer
Been working at a house with no a/c. Jut got ceiling fans on the back porch. I go through about a gallon of water and three shirts per day.

I kinda knew a kid from school, he actually was engaged to my ex right out of HS. He was working for a tree company and felt kinda tired so he went to the companies truck to rest. Ended up passing away from the heat here. So I always make sure plenty of fluids.

ppine

Forester
I used to have a contract on the Navajo Res in May. For awhile I got crew members mostly from Wyoming where the home office was located. It was still cold there. If we had a warm spell, even at 7,200 feet in Arizona people had serious trouble with the heat. There were not used to the dryness and did not drink enough. Usually I put them in the shade, and they were done for the day. You do not mess with heat exhaustion.

I had lots of other contracts in places like eastern Utah. and central Nevada. In summer, everyone was slowed by the heat but learned to cope with it. It became very important to get people in the evening to a place with AC and big pitchers of water and iced tea. Then they could recover enough to do it again the next day. We were younger then. It would kill me now at 66 to try do some of those jobs in the heat. The wind always made it worse.

Pathfinder1

I used to have a contract on the Navajo Res in May. For awhile I got crew members mostly from Wyoming where the home office was located. It was still cold there. If we had a warm spell, even at 7,200 feet in Arizona people had serious trouble with the heat. There were not used to the dryness and did not drink enough. Usually I put them in the shade, and they were done for the day. You do not mess with heat exhaustion.

I had lots of other contracts in places like eastern Utah. and central Nevada. In summer, everyone was slowed by the heat but learned to cope with it. It became very important to get people in the evening to a place with AC and big pitchers of water and iced tea. Then they could recover enough to do it again the next day. We were younger then. It would kill me now at 66 to try do some of those jobs in the heat. The wind always made it worse.

Pathfinder1

Hi...!!

I know what you mean about E & SE Utah...Been there many times in Winter and Summer in the high desert country. Residents there like to brag about how many days would go by that were OVER 100-degrees F...!! And, there were lots of them...!!

Cappy

We hardly ever reach 100 degrees unless ya factor in the humidity. We got 18 inches of rain yesterday and the weather ahd the nerve to report humidity at 70% Dont the fools know that for the next week that will be evaporating as fast as it can?? Thats 100% in my book and we will be there for over a week as we hopefully dry out. Thankfully we are not flooded but cant go far. We are now a temporary island.