How many are there?

Northern Dancer

Let's see now. There is, oh I don't know...I'd say five ways to camp. Really? There are nineteen ways? Really?

Tent
Glamping
Canoe
RV and Van
Rooftop
Car
Survivalist
Work camping
Winter
Arctic
Historical
Backcountry
Festival
Bivvying
Bicycle
Hammock
Motorcycle
Urban and
Specialty Camping.
I forgot "jeep" camping.

Kinda takes your breath away, don't it?
Did we miss any?

ppine

Forester
Raft camping
Drift boat camping
Power boat camping
Sailboat camping
Horse/Mule camping
Wagon camping
Buckskinning/Rendezvous camping
Bivouac camping
Hunting trip camping
Fishing trip camping
Work camping trips include geology, forestry, mapping, and many others
Cow camps

Northern Dancer

Raft camping
Drift boat camping
Power boat camping
Sailboat camping
Horse/Mule camping
Wagon camping
Buckskinning/Rendezvous camping
Bivouac camping
Hunting trip camping
Fishing trip camping
Work camping trips include geology, forestry, mapping, and many others
Cow camps
-----> sure beats the old days when we were limited in what we could do and what kind of equipment we had to do it with - something like that. :cool:

ppine

Forester
In the old days we did all kinds of things. There were no fancy names for it and no notoriety. The woods were quiet. Even National Parks were pretty quiet. I climbed Half Dome in 1974 without a permit and there were about 5 people up there.

I miss the old days a lot, but my style hasn't changed that much. I still avoid people.

Northern Dancer

In the old days we did all kinds of things. There were no fancy names for it and no notoriety. The woods were quiet. Even National Parks were pretty quiet. I climbed Half Dome in 1974 without a permit and there were about 5 people up there.

I miss the old days a lot, but my style hasn't changed that much. I still avoid people.
-----> I like to avoid people and crowds too. What I have noticed most is the incredible number of rules one must abide by today. At one time I use to dip my cup into any lake or stream and quench my thirst. Now I take out my handy dandy water purification gizmo before I quench my thirst. There are no more glass or cans taken into the interior. [I'm okay with this rule.] The fees have increased significantly and the restrictions keep piling up. I have to book several months in advance accept for Crown Land. In spite of it all the call to the wild is as loud and clear as it has ever been.

ppine

Forester
I don't feel like we were limited all really in the outdoors in the US 40 years ago. The good places were not loved to death.
Now there are some more rules. Big deal.
Compared to every other kind of human endeavor, being the outdoors allows the greatest freedom.

Grandpa

There are still many beautiful places where you can wander for a week with little chance of meeting another human. But I'm not saying where they are.