Idaho, June 11, 2018

Roybrew

That sounds like a blast. I bet the mountains there are magnificent to look at. Have a great time and some pictures would be great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Grandpa

Back from the Selway trip. We were about two weeks too early for the pass. Still snow choked on the south side and hard to guess how bad the north slope was. But thanks to Mark in the Darby ranger station for the bad information about the trails, we wasted most of a day. We then drove around to Race Creek on the Selway River and hiked the twenty seven miles to the Mule Creek Ranger Station and back. The weather was great, the scenery beautiful and the fishing pretty good too. Camping along the river is very sparce as the canyon walls are steep so one night we shared a site with a river running group. What a great bunch of people. Thanks Frank and family. You all are the best.

After about a hundred pics, my camera suddenly declared memory card failure. All pics were lost and camera was worthless. Sorry for the lack of pictures. Hopefully, I have convinced a couple of my fellow hikers to join us on the forums and share their pictures of the trip.

As for this old fat guy, I was very happy with my trail strength. I'm still a far cry from five years ago, but I felt much better than last year. Hopefully, I still have a lot of trail miles left. Next on the docket, a four generation trip into the High Uintas with my great grand kids in July. (with a better camera) We also have a tentative plan for a Sawtooth Wilderness trip, and a Frank Church wilderness trip as well as a search for the Forrest Fenn treasure. Life is good.

The one negative aspect was a request to watch for two missing men lost in the river earlier in the season and upstream from where we were. A forest work crew also lost a horse in the river. We did spot a tree full of buzzards and marked the location for a report. Without ropes and harnesses, there was no way for us to get down to the river to check it out ourselves. Hopefully there can be some closure there. It is a wild and dangerous trail. One misstep and there can be no recovery. On a brighter note, we saw no rattlesnakes nor bears. Lots of deer came close to check us out including a nice 5x6 white tail buck and a 4x5 mule buck.

Last edited:

Cappy

So very happy to hear yall had a good trip. I know well about the camera blues. I am currently not taking pics either but that will soon change.

Cappy

Now is the off season for us. was triple digits and 80% humidity last week and it took me 2 days to get the grass cut. We are awaiting for the fall.

MacGyver

Some trips to the northwest are definitely on my bucket list. Knowing that pictures never do justice to what the eyes actually see, Idaho has got to be magnificent.

And, yeah, with 110° heat index today, I am already done with summer.

Grandpa

The first night surrounded by snow drifts was a we bit chilly. I actually had to zip up my 15 ` down bag but was toasty then.

Roybrew

Sounds like you had a great time. That area is on my bucket list.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ponderosa

Sounds great. Sorry about the bad trail info & lost photos. I haven't yet done any hiking in the Selway country. There's just so much Idaho to see.