Interesting Artifacts!

Fishing

A buddy of mine and I decided to take a short hike last week and ended up going off through a creek bed exploring. We found an arrow head! I am taking it to the museum to have it looked at.

Abbey

I found an arrowhead when I was a kid. It was perfectly shaped and black. My dad still has it too. I think he keeps it for good luck :)

HikerChick

That's awesome! I remember as a kid finding rocks that were triangular shaped and hoping they were arrowheads. My parents let me think they were when they weren't, lol. Later they bought some non-authentic ones for me, but I've always wanted to find a real one.

Katydid

Alas, I have never been fortunate to find anything that interesting on my hikes. When I go with the kids, i always have them on the lookout for anything they think might be neat. It would be awesome if we could find something like that on a hike.

jason

fear no beer
I remember finding small little pottery bowls as a kid. Not very big, maybe you could stuck a thumb into it. Also found some pieces of it pottery too. Do not remember what ever happened to them.

1741farmhouse

When we would go out shooting in Arizona we would often find arrowheads and pottery.

Penny

That's great, a bit of local history in our own backyard. I would love to find an artifact. When I was a kid my dad always was telling me off for digging up his back yard - I was trying to find dinosaur bones.... !

Fishing

Penny I remember as a child when I dug for dinosaur bones too. I was convinced I would find one eventually but all I ever accomplished was getting yelled at!

hummingbird

We go looking for artifacts when the fields are plowed here. After the farmer's have turned the fields and before the plant them we ask permission to explore. We find a bunch of arrowheads and some pottery and once I even found a clay pipe. I have no idea why it didn't get smashed but it's now preserved for posterity.

homegrown

Be careful in doing things like this. As pathetic as it is, last summer a lady here in town was exploring a place below the river and found a great deal of pottery. She dug it from the ground and took it to the local appraisal office and was written a warning by the local authorities for "unearthing local ancient artifacts and risking destruction". How ridiculous? They told her next time to "stake it off" and contact the proper authorities so that it can be properly unearthed.