Just exploring...

Northern Dancer

...thanks for the likes, everyone.

I was reading one of my old journals [1996] and came across this note I made at the time.

Something inside bursts...I'm not sure how to describe it or the ingredients that make it up, but there is an inner peace and good feelings released. It's a release from the commonality, that everyday pressure of human contact and conflict. It's a divorce from the life regulated by time and commitment and command that sucks out the enthusiasm of life itself. It's a release that gives way to a gentler more simpler style, void of the complications, the stress; one that is easier and more manageable. A pursuit that eliminates the normal struggle and competition and brings pleasantness that satisfies the inner self. Feelings, surrounded by wilderness that refreshes the soul and tickles the spirit and motivates one to have a closer relationship with God and people and self and things around one.

Some thoughts that came to mind while sitting at Buffalo Rock, the highest elevation in the camp, on a warm summer day.

Not exactly Sigurd Olsen or Mordecai Richler, but it was me at the time.

My Orion 7...great for canoe trips

When evening shadows fall...

ppine

Forester
I had a friend that recently passed away. He graduated from the U of Michigan with a degree in forestry in the 1930s. He went on a 3 week canoe trip in no Minnesota where the BWCA is now. His outfitter was Sig Olsen.

Northern Dancer

I had a friend that recently passed away. He graduated from the U of Michigan with a degree in forestry in the 1930s. He went on a 3 week canoe trip in no Minnesota where the BWCA is now. His outfitter was Sig Olsen.
-----> Names of the past that are still great to this day - pioneers who had a lot to say to our generation. Thanks for sharing.

Northern Dancer

...these are the days I would like to lock the door and hang a sign on the doorknob
- "Gone Hiking;" I don't know if I'm coming back.

2829 2830

2831 2832

Yep...just like I expected - no news about the coronavirus.
I can't hear anything
accept the sound of rippling water, a gentle breeze,
and songbirds.
May your day be a joyous one.

Cappy

We try to make the best of it. All camp grounds are closed here, most of the boat launches too. So we are living at home. Our pomegranate tree is full of big red flowers and the humming birds love them so thats entertaining. Our cardinal family is still around and the male is quite tame often sitting with in 10 feet of us seeming to enjoy our company. fruit trees abloom and the yard is very perfumey. Strangely there is lots more neighbors walking about our lil 2 block area. Walking bike riding and golf cart riding in the evenings. Many of them not working now and walking for exercise and to stave off cabin fever.

Northern Dancer

We try to make the best of it. All camp grounds are closed here, most of the boat launches too. So we are living at home. Our pomegranate tree is full of big red flowers and the humming birds love them so thats entertaining. Our cardinal family is still around and the male is quite tame often sitting with in 10 feet of us seeming to enjoy our company. fruit trees abloom and the yard is very perfumey. Strangely there is lots more neighbors walking about our lil 2 block area. Walking bike riding and golf cart riding in the evenings. Many of them not working now and walking for exercise and to stave off cabin fever.
-----> Enjoyed your post "Cappy". I could be wrong in my assessment, but it seems to me we have a more thoughtful neighbourhood community emerging. People seem to be cognizant of one another, thoughtful, and caring. Maybe it's always been that way - I just didn't see it the way I'm seeing it now.