Kayak hoist recommendations

Wehan

I just brought home a Jackson BigRig and am looking for a good hoist to store this battleship. The Kayak weighs just under 100 lbs and safety/reliability is an absolute must. The last thing I want is for someone to get hurt if it falls, the second to last thing I want is a $1600 Kayak falling onto concrete from 10' in the air. I have a small but tall garage and putting this on its side in the air is about my only option for storage when not in use.

So with that being said, what do you use? What works and what is a scary mess death trap?

bsmit212

I have hung a kayak from the ceiling before. It was a smaller boat but I had succss with putting eye-hooks in a ceiling studs and then a cleat in a wall stud and it held just fine. I would think the same system would work for your boat. Just make sure the hardwear and rope used are rated for the weight. One thing I would do though that I did not the last time is use pullies.

I just ran the rope through the eye hooks and then down the wall to the cleat. Then on the boat end of the rope put some carabiners or hooks to put on your grab handles of the boat and hoist is up and down. However, without the pullies there was so much friction the boat seemed much heavier than it was, so use some pullies. Another idea to add is my dad used a hoist system for bikes when I was growing up and he had even put a hand crank to hosit them up and down instead of the cleat.

Denni2

We use this. We found it on amazon.
RAD Sportz Kayak Hoist Lift Garage Storage Canoe Hoists (Lifetime Warranty), 125-Pound Capacity

ppine

Forester
You can find plenty of hardware at any hardware store. Anchor the rig with some eye bolts set in the roof joists. Use some pulleys and 3/8 inch line and anchor with cleats at chest level. You don't need buy some special "kit" of parts.