Looking for a big outdoor survival knife?

James

High carbon looking and well made. I do not want Chinese shi.

While living, I can spend some small trees and spend the wood. One that holds a very sharp edge.

Have anyone good Ideas?

KingPeon

I have a Becker BK-9 and absolutely love it... for the price the Schrade is hard to beat also.

Cappy

I know the big Bowie or Rambo style knives are very popular but they dont fit my life style I have a camp knife sued for cooking. A picket knife and for brush and wood work I carry a cane knife I really dont like the big belt knives. They not that good for wood work often too big to efficiently handle small game or fish and who wants to cook wit the same blade ya do that with anyway. They dont fit in my outdoor style.

ppine

Forester
A large knife is usually the sign of a rookie. People that know what they are doing usually have small kvines. Many choices now. I like a small fixed blade sheath knife around 4 inches or so. Good for fish, birds, spreading mayo or gutting an elk. I have had some good knives by Case, Western, Kabar, Benchmade and several custom made ones. I love knives. I got my first one around the age of 8.

Cappy

My first was a boy scout knife and I got it around 8 as well carried it in my pocket always to school and all. In junior high I got an old timer folding hunter it had 2- 4" blades it moved to my back pocket along side my wallet and lived there through college. Now I have a Buck pocket knife I carry daily.

ppine

Forester
Knives that "hold an edge" are usually stainless steel. They are hard to sharpen. I like carbon steel knives. I can sharpen them on a river rock.

Roybrew

I carry 2 knives when I go camping. I have a 4 inch fixed blade and a small folding blade. The small one fits in any pocket and easy to carry. Both are stainless steel. The carbon ones are great, but a waste of money on me. I do wonder if the carbon blades may break easier? I think they are more brittle.

Grandpa

I'm a terrible sharpener. My SS knives got retired because I couldn't begin to sharpen them. Then grandma got me one of those electric belt sharpeners. Wow. I put a great edge on all the carbon knives in the house. Then went to work on the SS. I now can sharpen a knife.

Cappy

sharpening SS requires special equipment like your belt sander or lots and lots of patience and a good hard stone. I keep a small stone by my recliner and use it to keep my Buck pocket knife kinda sharp as I watch the news. My favorite carbon knives have always been old hickory knives. Great kitchen/camp knives etc easy to sharpen and pretty good edge retention very easy to touch up as you work. with just a steal

ppine

Forester
we have ss knives on the counter at home. My brother is a metals guy and he gave me a cross shaped device that will sharpen them with some difficulty.
In a drawer I have many carbon steel knives. Some are well over 100 years old. If I want to cut something I use those.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
I too, once made the big knife mistake (too heavy awkward to be much use) and settled on (primarily) 2 knives;
a SAK (Victornox tinker) in my pocket and a smallish ~3.5 or 4 inch fixed blade (used to ride on a pack strap now lives in the cooking box).
There is usually a largish 3", or so, folder hanging around somewhere in the gear boxes as a backup.

The stainless/carbon steel knives get sharpened with a (Lansky) ceramic stick V type sharpener.

If a blade is completely dull; I profile/shave it with a v type carbide sharpener (to get the angles close), then go to the coarse (dark) ceramic sticks then the fine (white) ceramic sticks then finally use a leather strop.
I haven't need the diamond sharpeners or hard and soft stones,for years.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Northern Dancer

Does my traditional Swiss Army knife fit into this discussion? Of all the knives that I have my SA has served me best. All the other knives can be found in my camp toolbox.