Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers

Greatoutdoors

We tried out a new recipe tonight and it turned out really well so I figured I would share it. We use the crockpot a LOT in the summertime so I have been searching for some new recipes. I love this one because you don't even have to cook your ground beef first.

Ingredients

4 bell peppers
1 pound of 85 percent lean ground beef
1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
1 cup of canned enchilada sauce
1 1/4 cup of shredded jack cheese
3/4 cup of cooked (leftover) mexican rice **
salt and pepper
sour cream and diced green onion for toppings

Directions

1. Finely dice a 1/2 of a yellow onion. Pour a cup of prepared enchilada sauce into a heat proof measuring cup and add diced onion. Heat the onion/enchilada sauce mixture in the microwave for about 5 minutes to soften onions.

2. Cut the tops off of four bell peppers. Remove stems and seeds and dice the tops of the bell peppers.

3. Pour 1/3 of a cup of water into the bottom of the crock pot and nestle bell peppers in.

4. In a large mixing bowl, combine one pound of uncooked ground beef, onion/enchilada sauce mixture, diced bell peppers, 1 cup of shredded jack cheese, 3/4 cup of cooked rice, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.

5. Fill bell peppers with ground beef mixture and top with more cheese.

6. Cook on low for about 6 hours. You can test mixture with meat thermometer for doneness. It should be cooked to 160 degrees.

** You don't have to use Mexican rice, but you do need cooked rice. :)

TakeAHike

Great Outdoors, that sounds absolutely delicious! I always love a new crockpot recipe myself. I like it all year long because I can toss in dinner before I leave for work and it cooks itself while I am gone.

Cappy

For a twist, stead of the hamburger use shrimp, or crab meat, or crawfish or lightly sauteed oyserrs diced. For seafood stuffed peppers

Greatoutdoors

That is a pretty good idea Cappy! I might try that next time for something a little different. TakeA I use mine at least twice a week year round! :)

BeJimmieWew

Youre absolutely right, Liz - the sweet and tart, mellow & acidic combo is what makes the sauce as flavorful as it is.
I added all of those ingredients, plus others, to the original recipe that I based this on.

I wondered if you didnt care for red bell peppers for any reason - Ive tried this recipe with onions, celery, and carrots and I preferred having it with the bell pepper flavor. I also tried it with onions and partially pre-cooked and cut up fennel bulb, which I thought was quite good.

ppine

Forester
Right now we can Hatch chiles and stuff them with all kinds of things. Great food around this time of year.

Cappy

Last time we bbqed I split some jalapeno peppers from the garden stuffed them with a blend of threaded cheese and Cajun sausage and wrapped thick slice bacon round them I am glad I only did 12 of those or me and Peg woulda made our selves sick on em. I also had some ribs corn and beans but late into the night Peg kept going back to snitch a pepper they were that good

ppine

Forester
Good recipe. I do something similar. You can use a Dutch oven and cook outside on a fire. I make stacked enchiladas usually with ground buffalo meat. Use torn up corn tortillas instead of rice. Stack in layers, Add some chiles, cumin, garlic, olives, whatever you have on hand. I like the Hatch enchilada sauce. Great flavor.