Paddles...

Northern Dancer

Many moons ago I stood in an outdoor store examing paddles. I didn't know much about them. Size, weight, kind of wood, and the like didn't register in the cranium. It came down to I like this one...I don't like this one. You know, those were the days we didn't have any paddle boards either. But today?

You kinda have to do your homework and know what you are buying and for what reason. But alas, it's still fun to look at the racks and check out the prices.

4042 roap sand wood paddle 4043 Bending Branches Viper Bent Canoe Paddle

And the "stroke" goes on...

ppine

Forester
The best paddles are the ones you make yourself.
I have one made from mahogany, walnut, and white ash. A carpenter friend glued up the blanks. I run rocky rivers a lot and left it kind of heavy. I have found it in eddies a few times, but it has served me well for over 30 years.

Roybrew

I know very little about paddles. There sure are some pretty ones out there. Ones I would hang on the wall instead of using. I've made two, and one was a little on the heavy side.

I think I would prefer one like the square tip one only a little more rounded. I wouldn't attempt using a bent shaft paddle, them things look confusing.
Roy

ppine

Forester
Bent shafts are fine for lakes. I do not like them in rivers with plenty of current. I have used kayak paddles to good effect when paddling solo.