Pain from the bike seat

2coastcamper

I love trail bike riding, but I often experience pain after a long ride from my bike seat. Sometimes after a long ride, I have trouble sitting down after because of pain in my tailbone area. I'm a pretty stocky guy ... athletic with a lot of upper-body bulk. I was wondering if there were any riders similar to me who have similar pain?

If so, has there been anything you've tried that's worked?

I just bought a gel seat cover for my bike, and I'm eager to try it out and see if it works.

Here's hoping.

jason

fear no beer
I usually trade out the stock bike seat for one more comfortable. I have also tried the gel pad covers. Both have worked. Some of the people I talk to however said nothing compares to bike shorts with the padding built in. I have not tried them yet, but have been thinking about it.

Jane

This is a common problem. I don't know why they don't make the seats more comfortable to begin with. I hadn't thought about padded biker shorts. I'm not sure though, that they would be very fashionable.

Abbey

I agree with Jane - why don't they make these things more comfortable to begin with? Just about everyone I know has this problem. I'd be willing to give the padded shorts a shot, but I'd like to hear a review from someone who has tried them.

2coastcamper

I will give the padded shorts a try, then. Maybe they have some that go underneath your other shorts.

As soon as I've tried them out, I'll let everyone know how they work.

Tomboy

I will give the padded shorts a try, then. Maybe they have some that go underneath your other shorts.

As soon as I've tried them out, I'll let everyone know how they work.
This would be the way that I would go for your type of riding needs. Just a little bit of a heads up, they look odd to say the least, but you'll be able to walk easier after a ride. I only ride the paved bicycle paths, so the seat pads take care of me pretty well.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

justontime

I don't think there is a complete solution to this because the seat is so badly designed, but the combination of padded cycle shorts and a gel seat cover help quite a lot.

jason

fear no beer
I talked to one of the girls last night at work, her husband works for a bicycle shop. She was saying some of the cheaper shorts do not work as well.

Also, I forgot to mention, some bikes you can adjust the springs for the seat. On the bikes that I have you need to remove the seat post and adjust the spring in the seat post. It is in the tube.

kernow

Thanks for the advice about adjusting the springs, my bike has springs in the tube like that too, I have had them adjusted but it doesn't make that much difference.

katharina

I usually trade out the stock bike seat for one more comfortable. I have also tried the gel pad covers.
Sounds to me as if this might be a good place to start, yes. Along with the seat adjustment. It could make a difference with the tailbone pain to sit at a different angle than the one that is causing pain.

Foytey

I have a super fat gel pad which helps a lot, but if I ride to,to long it stills pains me, I like the idea for the springs in the seat. I wonder how the Tour De France guys do it with the smallest sharpest of padding.

2coastcamper

I have a super fat gel pad which helps a lot, but if I ride to,to long it stills pains me, I like the idea for the springs in the seat. I wonder how the Tour De France guys do it with the smallest sharpest of padding.
They all weight about 130 pounds ... whereas a guy like me weighs 220.

Penny

It's the same for horse riding I've always found. By the time you get off the saddle/seat you're working like you're legs were bent at birth!

2coastcamper

Figured I'd offer an update. I used the gel seat, and it's worked pretty well so far. Haven't been on a really long ride just yet ... wanted to see how it'd go on a short few first. Seems to work good so far.

jason

fear no beer
Figured I'd offer an update. I used the gel seat, and it's worked pretty well so far. Haven't been on a really long ride just yet ... wanted to see how it'd go on a short few first. Seems to work good so far.
Glad to hear that is working. Seems like forever since I managed to do any rides other then the ride to work. Maybe sunday I'll get the wife and kid out on the bikes. Sadly the wife does not go as far as I like though.

Camoguy

Read this article about men riding bicycles.

http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/8733.html

It really makes you think about it. The Seat they are talking about is a funny looking thing but it does look comfortable. I used to ride but don't much anymore. I'd rather hoof it.

Here's what the seat looks like:

Walking Man

Gee that thing is ugly! But if it saves some other....ummmmmmmm....vital functions, then it may be worth getting laughed at when you're out on the thing. It seems though that you would have trouble getting your balance with the seat changed that much, wouldn't you think?

campgirl

I hate bicycle seats. No matter how long I ride I always end up with a sore bumm.... It stinks! I can ride for 20 minutes and literally don't want to sit down to pedal, would rather stand up the rest of the way home. Ouch!

Walking Man

I've used one of those super fat gel seats. They are pretty nice. I don't ride well if I have to use those original seats either. I have no clue why they sell them like that either. It looks like they would sell them like they do cars, you know-basic model, moderate model, fancy package model. It would make sense to do it that way.