Parabolic cooker for camping

Roy

For anyone who camps during times when campfires are forbidden or where firewood is scarce, have you considered a parabolic cooker? I'm wondering how portable they are for drive-in camping.

Rain

I have seen these and they don't look too portable. I suppose you could strap it to the top of your car but then you would not have much room for anything else. There are solar box ovens that are very portable but they don't cook food fast like the parabolic cookers do.

Grandpa

No, not a parabolic but a folding reflector oven works very well. One of the Den leaders brought one on a cub scout day hike and made pizza using the fire rather than the sun. A parabolic may be more efficient but a pain to carry.

Ready

Yeah Grandpa, I've used the ovens before and they work well but they do take a long time. I've seen a parabolic cooker at a "go green" fair at a college and they had collapsible models. I don't know if they're as effective as the regular ones but they do exist. I'd want to try it before buying though.

WildRover

Where would you buy such a thing? I don't know that I'd take it camping but it could be handy for home cooking. I'd try one for sure.