Pepper Spraying those Pesky Snakes

MacGyver

Just a bit of a warning to people who might consider using wasp spray on anything but bees and who live where the police/rangers are, shall we say a "a bit overzealous". All wasp sprays have this on their labels: "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." I mention this because it's possible (with the aforementioned overzealous officers) to wind up with legal problems for attempting to poison wildlife. The active ingredient in most wasp sprays is pyrethrin which is a poison whereas pepper spray contains capsaicin which is just concentrated hot pepper. Sure - I know the odds of getting in trouble are slim to none, but the potential is there.

Roybrew

I carried pepper spray for several years now when I would camp, for just in case situations. Ya know the little personal ones that are about 10 bucks. I've never needed it yet, and I hope I never do. I'm not even going to bother with it anymore.

Grandpa

I always keep a canister of bear spray handy. There is usually at least one nervous person in the group that sleeps better knowing they have that spray. I just don't bother to worry them that if they are on the bears menu that day, that spray isn't much defense. A good nights sleep makes for better attitudes. And good bear etiquette is much more efficient at keeping brer bear away.

Cappy

Out of idle curiosity has any one on this forum ever sprayed bear spray at a bear? How many folks carry it?? I do not live in heavy bear country. The Louisiana Black bear is small as far as bears go and still rare. I have only seen 3 of them in my long out door career and that includes 35 years of driving a boat through the bayous. I carry the wasp spray cause its versatile. I use it on occasion when wasps are in a bad place. I will not give up a prime camping spot cause of wasp nests. That said I have never sprayed it at a animal mammal or reptile. Cause I aint ever had to. If I ever needed it though, In emergency defense situations be it against man or beast I would much rather have it than other sprays.

Grandpa

Idaho black bears are well mannered. We have extensive bear hunting so they are well trained to avoid us at all costs. Grizzlys are a different matter. But they too avoid humans but don't get in too big a hurry. Follow good food management practices, be aware of surroundings on the trail, and make noise and your chances of an unhappy bear encounter are very slim.

Roybrew

Carried that stuff for years when camping around here. Never squeezed the trigger at anything.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Just a bit of a warning to people who might consider using wasp spray on anything but bees and who live where the police/rangers are, shall we say a "a bit overzealous". All wasp sprays have this on their labels: "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." I mention this because it's possible (with the aforementioned overzealous officers) to wind up with legal problems for attempting to poison wildlife.
Good point and undoubtedly correct when dealing with little mister gung-ho ranger. However, as an American I do have an inalienable right to life and may use any means at my disposal to protect it.

Terasec

I only recently started carrying bear spray,
bears never phased me until a few years ago,
winter camping on my land, when I headed out I noticed bear tracks followed my tracks step for step, crossing every where I crossed, for about 1 mile,
on the way back I was waist deep crawling through a section, placing my hands in and near bear tracks, then it hit me, if I encounter a bear here I look like a snack and nothing I can do about it,
I started carrying bear spray every since,