Pepper Spraying those Pesky Snakes

Milly

I was reading something that I just had to share with everyone. It made me laugh so hard! This person was asking if you could put pepper spray on a rattle to scare off snakes while hiking. Everyone was kind of confused and was asking him why he wanted to do that, and why did he not just leave the snakes alone. Then he comes back and says sorry for the confusion. He meant to ask if you can pepper spray a snake that is ready to strike you! I was picturing this whole scenario in my head, and it was just too funny. I might follow this guy out in the woods one day, to see how he pepper sprays a snake! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

At 40 bucks a spray, I'll walk around the snake and we both can go our way. After spraying a snake, I would not trust that can to have enough left for a bear.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I saw a guy pepper spray a toad once, just as an experiment. The toad apparently didn't like it. But a snake? I wonder if it would even do anything?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Considering the fact that even an old man with a cane can probably outdistance a snake, why would you chose to stand your ground?

oldsarge

That's messed up...pepper spray a snake, poor guy doesn't even have hands to wipe his eyes with! Have someone tie your hands then pepper spray your own snake and see how you like it.

Newanderthal

How about pepper spray the idiot?

don't like snakes? Go around them. Never heard of a person who got bit while avoiding a snake.

DMan

In the time this guy could take to whip out the can of pepper spray and line up the snake to spray him, he could have bypassed the snake and been long gone away from him.

aldove

If the snake's nose is sensitive to any smell, maybe he can react to pepper spray. I am not sure, I've never seen a snake battling against a pepper spray being directed to him. I would love to hear it from others who already experimented this pepper spray method.

Grandpa

There's always the possibiblity he'll point it in the wrong direction. In this case, I'd say it's a strong possibility.
Ranger in Yellowstone said 90 % of pepper sprays end up spraying the owner first. They sell a lot of that stuff and it is seldom used. People just gotta play around until......................

Newanderthal

If the snake's nose is sensitive to any smell, maybe he can react to pepper spray. I am not sure, I've never seen a snake battling against a pepper spray being directed to him. I would love to hear it from others who already experimented this pepper spray method.
Snakes have no sense of smell in their nose. They detect particles in the air with the Jacobson's organ in their mouth. The nose is used only for breathing.

And pepper spraying a snake is cruel and pointless. The snake will end up in severe pain and likely blind. Just walk away.

If you want to torture animals, why not start with cats? They're dangerous to the ecosystem? Or babies? They're pretty helpless and people are always making more.

jason

fear no beer
I've seen a foam they sell for snakes. Not pepper spray, but some other sort of foam. There was a video of it floating around removing a snake from its pray it wrapped around.

don't like snakes? Go around them. Never heard of a person who got bit while avoiding a snake.
Wish it was that easy. 3 times in two days the same snake made it onto my back porch through the dog door. I have to figure a way to get them to stop coming in. The second time he sat in the middle of the porch coiled up while one of the dogs barked at it. Refused to move. Thankfully my son was not out there.

Marshmallow

Maybe the guy could volunteer to do the test run next time he's up against a rattler getting ready to strike at him. I'd avoid the snake at all costs and never give him a chance to even think about striking.

Clodia

I have been wondering about this for awhile. I live in the Florida woods. In the last six months I have killed one coral snake, and chased away three moccasins from around my front porch. I have dogs. I am lucky they have not been bitten. I chased the first two moccasins away by pouring household products on them from above; pool chlorine and Draino. Today I grabbed my bear spray, got within ten or fifteen feet and discharged it. The snake seemed to hate it and took off very fast. My goal here is to deter them from hanging out around the house. I'd prefer to kill them but am too frightened to do this. I would like to not live in fear that my dogs and I will accidentally or purposefully (my dogs) startle a venomous snake that results in a bite.

So, pit vipers hate pepper spray in my experience. They hate it worse than being directly hit with pool chlorine or Draino. It must enter their pits and burn like hell.

Cappy

I have never carried pepper spray but I do own and carry wasp spray it sprays better, easier to aim, goes further and will turn back anything. Oh and my favorite part cheaper and last long time. I am much more likely to need wasp spray anyways. I leave em be most always but sometimes they build a nest in a bad place and ya gotta take it out.

Clodia

Cappy! What a wonderful idea! That wasp spray is relatively inexpensive; relative to bear spray, anyway. It lasts a long time. It sprays accurately and far. The bear spray was completely discharged in about three seconds. It sent out a large cloud, not a spray. The ten to fifteen feet range was barely enough. I think the bear spray was $50. I will stock up on wasp spray. Thank you!!