Perfect Winter Camping...

Northern Dancer

The temperatures ranged in the 30-degree mark. The snow was fabulous and started Saturday afternoon and continued into midday on Sunday. I haven't been on a sleigh ride in years but there it was. Horse-drawn with hay all over the wagon flat top to keep people warm. There were a hundred youth and Leaders taking part in the weekend. And we were fed well too.

2780 2781

2782 2784

It takes a fair amount of time to set up and take down my gear as much as I enjoy it. On the next trip, I will be taking unit five. Unit five includes 1 winter bag set for - 22 degrees, 1 cot that is six inches off the ground, 1 mattress for insulation, 1 two-man winter tent, and fixings. I'll will be eliminating the stove and the large tent (with rugs etc.).

This year I tried body warmers - the eighteen-hour long ones. I placed them in the bottom of my sleeping bag to keep my feet perfectly warm until the morning. I put some in my boots too - it was a smart idea as I do not burn the stove at night when I'm sleeping. Oh...my manservant is Thibbs. He usually holds a cold beer for me, BUT, not when the youth are present.
:beer2:

Northern Dancer

Okay, okay - I confess. My last outing was ridiculous. It was ridiculous because I took the necessary equipment for one week or more on a two-night outing. I know better than that and I'm not sure what it was all about. Maybe my ego - or something like that. So... I'm now getting ready for the next trip and the equipment that I'm taking makes a lot of sense and is simply practical for a two nighter. I call it my package five. [A whole lot easier setting up and taking down.]

For those who are interested in winter/cold camping, this is the package that I'm taking.

Alps Mountaineering Maramac tent with the fly (roof covering)
Wolf hide rug
Allagash cot - outback camping
One sleeping pad
Winter sleeping bag -25 F
Helonex chair - I need it for my back
Backpackers table - for night stuff
Warmer heating stove
Kneeling pad
Snow shovel and snow brush
Snow sled
A little less ego

2792 2793 Heater Stove

Northern Dancer

...how ya doin Roybrew?

The heater is simple enough and will warm up a smaller space as one might expect. It is perfect for a smaller tent and in the midst of cold temperatures it can be a blessing. :Smow:

Northern Dancer

...it's snowing - a lot. I'm planning to test my new sleeping bag. Not really. Any excuse to get away and out for a couple of nights is a good excuse. It's falling gently and quietly, though I don't see Frosty the Snowman anywhere. :Cool2:

ppine

Forester
A wood stove changes everything. You had warm weather for winter camping.
I took my wall tent and stove to Yosemite recently, but it was a lot of work.

Northern Dancer

....Friday morning at 6:00 AM it was - 9.4 F [- 23 C] in this neck of the woods. My cold SB is rated at - 25F so I was okay. Be that as it may, Baden Bear didn't want to get out of the sleeping bag. I don't like to should on myself - but I should have brought my sleeping pad for my Allagash cot. I'm sure it would have given me more comfort. BUT...[I get brownie points here] I did remember, using an elastic band, to put a hand warmer on my cylinder propane tank. Propane doesn't work very well in these cold temperatures and the warmer helped the propane to work. I also brought my Helinox chair for my back and remembered to have my headlamp and camera sleep with me.

Days are getting longer - you know what means right? It means the days are getting longer and not shorter. :rolleyes:

Mountaineer

Wow, you really have it all. :) I love winter camping and I always put hiking and camping on my to-do list every winter.

Northern Dancer

-----> Give it a try Mountaineer - it's invigorating. What you really need is a good sleeping bag [system], appropriate clothing, and shelter. If you live in an area of goodly winters try the "backyard" test. This enables you to get a taste of winter style camping and make the necessary adjustments.

For years I've put things on a "to-do list" and so often didn't get around to doing it. I'm more conscious of those decisions now and make every effort to accomplish the list. Like riding a bike after years of absence. Done.

Good to see you online.

Mountaineer

-----> Give it a try Mountaineer - it's invigorating. What you really need is a good sleeping bag [system], appropriate clothing, and shelter. If you live in an area of goodly winters try the "backyard" test. This enables you to get a taste of winter style camping and make the necessary adjustments.

For years I've put things on a "to-do list" and so often didn't get around to doing it. I'm more conscious of those decisions now and make every effort to accomplish the list. Like riding a bike after years of absence. Done.

Good to see you online.
Thanks for the tips and recommendations. :camp2: