Pets And The Wilderness

jason

fear no beer
Do you ever take your pet with you when you go out? I've heard of it being done, but I've never had a pet that I would do that with.

HereToday

We are basically cat people, and our cat never wants to go with us;)! When I was a girl, we had an old miniature Schnauzer that we'd take camping. My older brother was always climbing mountains, or out in his boat, and Shaggy was always game to join him, even though by dog years he was quite elderly. My brother and I really loved him.

sarahlorrain

I've never taken animals with us to go camping, but then again, up until this year I've always had cats! We have a delightful Basenji that might be a good camping buddy; at least I know she won't bark at anything!

dtinnan

even though i am a dog lover, please, if you take your pets in the wild with you be responsible for them and use leashes! one encounter with an unruly pet can cause them to be banned from your favorite outdoor spot. not everybody you'll meet on the trail thinks little fluffy chasing a squirrel is "just the cutest thing!" also a steaming pile of dogpoo on the trail is not appreciated by anyone. Be sure to pack the pets plenty of water and a container they can drink from also.

HereToday

Okay, before I tell this story, I want to say that no damage was done and my Grandma's cat lived to eighteen years. At the time of this story, Kimmy was a couple of years old. As I tell you this story some of you will remember a slightly different story in the movie Nation Lampoon's Vacation. Mainly we tell this story to illustrate how scatterbrained our Dad can be. OK, disclaimer over.
Kimmy was my Grandma's cat, and so on this camping trip, Kimmy went along with us. Grandma put Kimmy on a leash. We were packing the car, preparing to go. We jumped in the car and drove down the dirt road. As we went, people were waving and shouting at us. My dad, at the wheel, was commenting on how friendly these campers were here. My mom and grandma both yelled, "THE CAT!" Kimmy was still tied to the bumper of the car! Dad got out and gave a very dusty cat to Grandma. I never saw, before or since, the look that Grandma gave Dad! He really had to bow and scrape the rest of that vacation to make it up to Kimmy and Grandma.

rubybeetle

That was a good story!

I like taking our dog camping with us. He loves it and he alerts us to danger, like rattlesnakes.

fbird

my dog goes camping, hiking, and biking(moderate pace). his name is koda. hes an Australian Shepard.

HereToday

Australian shepherds are such good dogs. They really seem to want to please you, and were so good with kids. We really loved them.

fbird

that they are, and full of energy. they can handle most weather
,but they do have their calm moments.

sarahlorrain

OMG, I can't believe that poor cat lived through that. Poor thing! She was very lucky. I think it's amazing when peopel manage to leash train cats.

NatureLover916

I LOVE to take my dog along with me. And dont get me wrong, she loves to tag along! She is an 8yo black lab who loves the outdoors just as much as I do. She is as loyal as they come. But with taking dogs out into the wilderness comes responsibility. I'm a responsible pet owner, I always have Mia (that’s her name) on a leash and i always pick up after her. I live in CA and we have tons of beautiful locations to visit and most, at one point, were dog friendly but this is no longer the case. Some of the places have been closed to dogs for environmental reason, which is understandable, but most have been closed because of irresponsible pet owners. So if you do take your beloved pets along for the adventure please make sure to be responsible so that others can take part in a similar adventure some day.

Mia @ Stinson Beach, CA (dog friendly beach)

Attachments