Places to see before you die

WildRover

I'm still waiting for my chance to see the Bamiyan Valley. I have always wanted to see the Bamiyan Buddhas in Afghanistan. I guess I won't be seeing them, but I want to at least see where they stood. I've been waiting 30 years for my chance. I wonder if I wait another 30 years if the area will finally be safe enough for me to travel there.

What is the one place you've always wanted to visit?

Barney

A few months ago I decided not to make such lists in life anymore because I rarely have the time to do smaller things let alone visit some great places. And making such lists only make me uncomfortable because then I always worry when I will have the time to those things.

Gondor

I always wanted to visit the Pyramids in Egypt. They always felt magical to me and all the stories around them. I hope I will be lucky enough to go there someday.

Lamebeaver

I've scratched off most of the places, now I'm down to "events".

I'd like to see a volcano erupt. I don't need to be too close, but I don't want to just see a glug, glug, glug like the ones in Hawaii.

I'd like to sail across an ocean...on a sailboat, not a cruise ship.

I'd like to see my children happily married and hold my grandchildren in my arms.

I'd like to spend a few years after I retire doing whatever I want for a few years before my health starts to deteriorate and I can no longer enjoy that freedom.

If I can live to see those four things, then I'm good.

Grandpa

I have two events to accomplish and I have made the first a reality. The first event was to grow too old to die young and the second is to die by the hand of a jealous husband at the age of 101.

Now if I can get a trip to Nepal/Tibet, New Zealand, or South America, that would just be caramel topping on the pudding of life.

Judy Ann

Well I am too old to die young and am in the process of traveling and doing things that require the most energy like backpacking in the Smokies, Tetons, Rockies and maybe points west of the Rockies. I hope to canoe the Buffalo River for a week too.

ppine

Forester
Alaska,Machu Piccu, Rome, Paris, the Pyramids, Buhtan, Siberia, the coast of Spain

Buhtan is a peaceful Buddist country that keeps track of their GNH- Gross National Happiness.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I can't think of any place I'd like to see before I die. I've pretty much seen everything. I'm not tired but I do get a little bored. Maybe that's why i"m here instead of looking for that perfect sunset.

Gondor

I always wanted to live like a nomad for a few months. I have no special destination in mind but just that wanderer style of living. It would be nice.

Miley

I would love to see Stonehenge, Greece, and Japan. I am afraid of flying, though, so I guess I am out of luck. Are there boats that cruise to those places, from the United States? I am not very knowledgable on the whole cruise thing.

outwest

I know for sure on the list are New Zealand and Oz for hiking, but I would also like to visit a few random places through out Europe too. I always hear of these tiny areas tucked away behind the cities and I am wondering why it seems more appealing to visit another country sometimes more than my own, maybe its because the US feels "homely"?

Where to begin?? I'd like to see the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls in the US, as well as Macchu Picchu in Peru, Angel Falls in Venezuela, the pyramids of Egypt, and the ancient ruins of Greece and Italy. And all that is just off the top of my head, so to speak. If I really sat down and made a list, researching what the rest of the world has to offer, I'm sure the list would go on for pages and pages!

firedancer

Can't pick just one, but Nepal, Macchu Picchu, and Kilimanjaro are my top "life list" trips. However, I'm having too much fun road tripping my way down the list of our National Parks, so I don't have much desire to leave our borders just yet. I'll save the big, expensive trips for my 40's and 50's.

oldsarge

I'd like to see the place where I'm going to die....then never go there!

Refrigerator

Can't pick just one, but Nepal, Macchu Picchu, and Kilimanjaro are my top "life list" trips. However, I'm having too much fun road tripping my way down the list of our National Parks, so I don't have much desire to leave our borders just yet. I'll save the big, expensive trips for my 40's and 50's.

Mine too firedancer....

Rain

I've always wanted to travel the silk road. I suppose it is not safe for an American through parts of it but ever since reading about Ibn Battuta in high school, it's been something I've wanted to do. I doubt I ever will though.

ppine

Forester
Rain,

Stop doubting and start planning. You have a great idea that needs to happen. Just wait for the right political landscape and jump on it. You will never regret it.