Rant: orange!

Frap

I have a mini-rant. WHY are people not hunting safely? In the last few weeks I have saw WAY too many people not wearing the hunting safety gear. The state requires orange and proper coverage includes a vest and hat (at minimum). WEAR YOUR ORANGE! Not just for your protection, but for other people as well.

4x4

Last year during our rifle season, 4 people were shot, 2 ended up dying. None of them were wearing orange and while it certainly wasn't all their fault, I feel if they had on orange, the people would not have mistaken them for deer. None of the shootings were related but all claimed they thought they were shooting deer, not humans.

askgrandma

My father was an advocate for wearing orange. He would pick a fight with a hunter (in the woods) if they were not wearing what they should. It is very dangerous to not be fully equipped.

rvmom

Oh my, that`s awful. I have never been hunting but I have read about wearing orange vests for safety. I wonder why people don`t do this? I guess they think it won`t happen to them, just like not wearing seat belts. If I was a hunter I would feel awful shooting someone.

Trekker

I wonder if there's any research out there on whether or not deer are color-blind. I know dogs are, and if it turned out that deer were as well, I wonder how silly some of these people would feel if they thought they would scare deer away by wearing orange.

Frap

Deer do not see the orange. Many (uneducated) hunters will argue otherwise but even if the deer could see you it wouldn't matter, they can smell a human scent from far away, bother more with using non scent and add that orange!

Trekker

Aren't hunters required to go through some kind of course in most places before being allowed to hunt? Or is that only in certain places? You would think they would make that a part of the education!

Frap

It is required to have hunters education and people are taught about wearing orange, as well as many other safety requirements, most do not follow them though.

hummingbird

I wouldn't go out into the woods without something bright on. Not necessarily orange because I don't usually go into woods where people are hunting. I carry a bright neon yellow vest with me anywhere I go in case I do have to go through the woods.

Frap

Hummingbird that is a wise thing for you to do! People do not realize the danger they put themselves in just by doing some very simple things. You have to be conscious about where you are at all times.