REI Basecamp 6 Guyline Question

anthony iannarelli

Hello - I am having difficulty finding the answer to how to best use guy lines on my basecamp 6 tent. It came with 4. I think I see loops for as many as 12. How many do you use? Do you do any fancy diamonds or triangles by stringing more than one guy to a stake?

Thank you

Anthony

MacGyver

I've never owned one, but I have checked it out in one of their stores. Personally, I wouldn't see a need to double up on guylines on just about any decent tent, and REI definitely isn't Ozark Trails. On the Basecamps, the cross pole design along with the sleeves on top and corners make for one helluva sturdy tent compared to tents that are just clipped to the poles. The 11mm main poles are no slouch either.

I just looked at the reviews on the REI site and a couple of people did mention that they bought extra tieouts. But, aside from the usual overly picky people slamming the tent, only one seems to have had a problem in a storm - an 80 mile an hour thunderstorm that destroyed it. In my mind, by the time the winds are rattling a tent to where you think it might collapse, it's time to bite the bullet and get soaked while throwing everything in the car and beat feet. Unless you're in something like a $900 Hilleberg, some storms just aren't for riding out no matter how many lines you have pegged down.

All that to say, I would spend a few bucks to get some extra guylines, but I wouldn't try to go overboard with 'em.

Cappy

When it comes to lines in general I always go with less is better. I had an old dome tent years ago, and hardly ever used lines just steaks at the floor. Less lines less trips. Lines are also quickly set out if you need them. keep some on stand by. you can quickly clip them on and stomp the steak down. if the wind comes up. Lines are trip hazards and feces occurs when camping to even the most experienced camper.

Northern Dancer

...for base camp I use an Alaknak tent - I have three different sizes. There are extra guy lines and I don't use them all. In the winter when the winds are howling I tend to use them or if I'm know I'm in for in climate weather. I pay particular attention to the instructions provided. [Though...I have on occasion ignored them.]

Base Camp at Cannisbay Lake

Grandpa

My habit is to use every guy line possible and add some if I don't think the tent has enough. Those high mountain winds can exceed 80 miles an hour and I hate losing sleep worrying.

Northern Dancer

My habit is to use every guy line possible and add some if I don't think the tent has enough. Those high mountain winds can exceed 80 miles an hour and I hate losing sleep worrying.
----------------------------------------------------------->
Good point. Any time I've had trouble is when I don't do what I'm told.