REI Kingdom 6

EmberMike

I've been looking at large tents that can accommodate my wife and I and our 2-year-old and his pack-and-play. I'm thinking 6-person since the pack-and-play will probably take the space of 2 people, plus my wife and I, leaving 2 spaces for gear, which seems reasonable with a toddler in tow.

I'm liking the REI Kingdom 6, in appearances at least. It's a nice tall tent, roomy, reasonably priced, and it has a dividable main area which I think might come in handy with the little guy. I'd probably set up the pack-and-play in the back section so we can put him to sleep early and not disturb him too much when we come in to sleep later in the evening.

I've never owned an REI tent before. Not sure if they're known for quality or not. Anyone have an REI, or in particular one of the Kingdom series tents?

Dannytoo

I am sure who makes the REI 6, but Kelty makes several of their other tents. Yes I have a REI backpack it's a good one. REI has a great return policy if you happen not to like the tent.

ponderosa

REI makes a good product, and their return policy can't be beat...they'll take anything back, anytime, no questions asked.
That tent is made of good materials, including the poles. I think it's really important in a big, heavy tent to have good aluminum poles rather than fiberglass which WILL break beyond repair at some point. The only thing about that tent that would concern me is the the rain fly is a bit skimpy over the front. It leaves a lot of zipper area on the doors uncovered. In a windy rain storm, I would expect some leaking around the door zippers. Other than that, it looks like good gear to me.

Hikenhunter

You can trust darn near anything REI sells. As mentioned above, if you don't like it they have a good return policy. If I were buying it I woild spent the extra 100 bucks and purchase the Connect Tech Garage. It looks like that garage thing would give you some extra storage space and provide you with some additional weather protection.

EmberMike

...The only thing about that tent that would concern me is the the rain fly is a bit skimpy over the front. It leaves a lot of zipper area on the doors uncovered. In a windy rain storm, I would expect some leaking around the door zippers...
I believe the vestibule can be set up on the front or the back of the tent. So in the case of bad weather I'd probably put the vestibule on the front for added zipper protection.

Actually I'd probably always put a vestibule in the front. Not sure there are many times when I'd want it on the back of the tent. Maybe just for added gear storage that isn't blocking the door.

EmberMike

...If I were buying it I woild spent the extra 100 bucks and purchase the Connect Tech Garage. It looks like that garage thing would give you some extra storage space and provide you with some additional weather protection.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. At first I was thinking I'd skip it, but since this is going to be a family tent I guess there's no such thing as too much storage space. :)

ChadTower

I've never seen a tent where that divider was of any practical use. In your case it might actually be more negative than positive. If you put the kid into bed in an unfamiliar place and then separate him from his parents he might flip out. He won't have the ability to understand what is going on, where he is, and why he can hear but not see you.

I don't like the vestibule in back. They say the point is to keep your gear rain free but the vestibule is outside the footprint. How exactly is your gear rain free if it's lying on the dirt?

I'm also not a big fan of tents where the fly goes straight down over the sides. That "wingspan" of the fly goes a long way towards keeping airflow on long rainy nights. It also directs the rain further away from your footprint so it can flow downhill away from the tent (assuming you set up on whatever high spot you have available).

In what area do you intend to camp? How far into spring/fall? I could see this being a very expensive, but functional, good weather summertime tent. If you go too far into cold it's going to be cold and if you go too far into tough weather (e.g. mountains) I have concerns about the design doing what they say it will.

ChadTower

I'm in the process of looking for a new tent for my car camping family of 4 (mom, dad, two boys). I'm looking hard at this tent. Similar size and intentions as EmberMike. My primary concern, though, is weather resistance. Last year we ran into some epic rainstorms in the White Mtns in NH. Our old faithful tent did everything it could but the rain was too much for too long on a couple of trips. It's time to upgrade.

For us the tradeoff of less height for more rain resistance is a no brainer. We ran into a 4" rainstorm last June that was like being in a waterfall for 36 hours.

EmberMike

I've never seen a tent where that divider was of any practical use. In your case it might actually be more negative than positive. If you put the kid into bed in an unfamiliar place and then separate him from his parents he might flip out. He won't have the ability to understand what is going on, where he is, and why he can hear but not see you...
I was thinking it might cut down on flashlight/lantern light when we're going in and out of the tent and maybe disturb him less. But you may be right, it might be more of a nuisance than a help.

...I don't like the vestibule in back. They say the point is to keep your gear rain free but the vestibule is outside the footprint. How exactly is your gear rain free if it's lying on the dirt?...
Supposedly the vestibule can be placed on the front or the back. Are vestibules ever placed over the footprint? I don't think I've seen a tent like that.

...I'm also not a big fan of tents where the fly goes straight down over the sides. That "wingspan" of the fly goes a long way towards keeping airflow on long rainy nights. It also directs the rain further away from your footprint so it can flow downhill away from the tent (assuming you set up on whatever high spot you have available)....
Never considered that. But you're got me reconsidering this tent now. I do like a fly that puts some distance between itself and the tent, especially near the ground to keep the surrounding area more dry.

...In what area do you intend to camp? How far into spring/fall? I could see this being a very expensive, but functional, good weather summertime tent. If you go too far into cold it's going to be cold and if you go too far into tough weather (e.g. mountains) I have concerns about the design doing what they say it will.
Mostly local (NJ), starting in May and going through probably October, unless winter sets in early.

EmberMike

...I'm looking hard at this tent...
I actually have looked at that exact tent also. I like it. My wife thinks it's ugly, but I'm less concerned with appearances than functionality. And really I like the look. That rust color is awesome.

It does have more of that wide wingspan shape, probably better for staying dry. Just wish it had a little more peak height.

I don't know anything about the brand. Are they known for good products?

ChadTower

I found this article ranking tents in this price/size range. Although it's mostly talking about the 8s instead of the 6s it probably applies. The tents we're talking about are 1 and 2 alternately depending on category. Looks like we can't go wrong either way.

Looks like it comes down to whether you value head room or storm resistance. Price is roughly the same in both cases and reviews are great for both.

I was thinking it might cut down on flashlight/lantern light when we're going in and out of the tent and maybe disturb him less. But you may be right, it might be more of a nuisance than a help.
If you have a lantern on the other side of the screen from the kid all you are going to do is create a black and white movie for him to watch. It won't cut down on the light at all and will end up projecting silhouettes that might make the environment a whole lot weirder for him. IMO, better to just have him there with you so he has no reason to feel separated. If you guys are active campers, trust me, once he's asleep he'll be cartoon sleeping with ZZZZZZZZ's floating around the tent.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

I'm in the process of looking for a new tent for my car camping family of 4 (mom, dad, two boys). I'm looking hard at this tent. Similar size and intentions as EmberMike. My primary concern, though, is weather resistance. Last year we ran into some epic rainstorms in the White Mtns in NH. Our old faithful tent did everything it could but the rain was too much for too long on a couple of trips. It's time to upgrade.

For us the tradeoff of less height for more rain resistance is a no brainer. We ran into a 4" rainstorm last June that was like being in a waterfall for 36 hours.
I saw this tent while coastal camping this past week in SC. Very solid when guy-lines are attached. They said that it had bent some during a storm in the Keys, but held up well when others around them had collapsed.

ChadTower

EmberMike, did you end up buying that tent? We'd love to hear some feedback on it if you did.

I picked up the tent I was talking about above. It's still in the box but I'm hoping to set it up in the yard this weekend and check it out.