SLEEPING BAG TEMPERATURES?

Northern Dancer

SLEEPING BAG TEMPERATURE RATING SCALE

There was a time I just picked up a sleeping bag, usually on sale, and away I went. Not a good thing to do. But then again, those were the days I really wasn't knowledgeable about or necessarily cared about it either. I DO NOW! I thought at one time shivering through the cold nights was just the way sleeping out was done.

As a four-season camper I have -----> you guessed it, four sleeping bags. One for the summer, one for canoe tripping, one for spring and fall, and one for cold weather [winter] camping. Each is a different design and texture to meet my sleep needs.

I just bought a new spring/fall sleeping bag and it said on the label> minus 15 degrees Celsius or 5 degrees Fahrenheit, fits up to a person 6 feet, 2 inches tall. It also had the material it was made with and the washing/cleaning instructions - good to know. [Why do companies say "United States" or "Canada" and then you read the label and it says made in "China"? Just sayin.]

So was this a good buy? Maybe - but until I test the manufacturer information "in field trials" it's just industry gobbledygook. [Nice word to describe how they talk to us.] I need to know if the temperature rating is as good as they say it is AND if I'm going to be comfortable sleeping in it.

THE STANDARD FOR THE TEMPERATURE RATING FOR THE INDUSTRY is "EN" [European Norm] or "ISO" [International Organization for Standardization]. Most United States-based sleeping bag manufacturers have adopted either the EN or ISO testing methods, which is helpful for consistency and accuracy. [But they don't put the test method on the sleeping bag label.] Some of course will have developed they're own methods. BOTH EN AND ISO TESTS INCLUDE USING A HEATED MANIKIN [or possibly "womanikin"] wearing a long *underwear top and bottom, *a hat, and a *closed-cell foam sleeping pad. [*Important items to consider as part of your sleep system.]

The general range for different seasons looks something like this > Summer/low elevation sleeping bags: 32 degrees Fahrenheit and above, 3-season sleeping bags: 20 to 32 degrees Fahrenheit, and Cold-weather/winter bags: 20 degrees and below. [My winter bag is minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit without an outer bag.]

But no matter what - do your homework, make it a fun project to compare, and look for sales. Yadda. yadda, yadda. :Smile2:

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Sleeping bags companies have traditionally over rated the temperatures ir bags are comfortable to.
Try them in the back yard at a known temperature. You don't have to spend the whole night. Try it for an hour or two.

The seasons a bag is good for depend on where you live. Summer in the Sierra Nevada can be below freezing even in July and August. Spring and fall are between 5-30 F. Winter needs to be below zero.

I have never bought a bag for really cold conditions. I just use two sleeping bags or a bag and some blankets. I used to use a small sled for my dog on winter trips. Now I have more trouble staying warm in the cold. I don't like sleeping in temperatures below about 20 at all.

Roybrew

I take a down quilt with me. I sleep very comfortable even when the temps drop a little below the bag ratings just by covering up with it. I move around a lot when I sleep and I find the mummy bags, and fleece liners, claustrophobic.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

ppine

Forester
In mild temperatures a use a blanket or two. For real cold I use a light mummy bag with a down bag unzipped over it like a quilt.

Northern Dancer

Good suggestions Roybrew and Pine - I tend to do the same. It's like layering clothes for winter camping. And yes, as mentioned heretofore, I have four sleeping systems to meet my needs. I like to idea of not using the zipper - I find them a pain. However, I must say that the Coleman Company has come up with a good system, but alas, I like other products that don't have the system.