Small Inflatable Boat?

craig

I need a small one person inflatable boat that can be carried easily on person. It has to weigh only a few pounds but to be durable to be used on a lake. Where I travel there's lots of lakes so this would be a perfect addition to my gear.

Malarkey

This is insanely expensive for such a minor thing. I remember nutnfancy preaching about a $70 boat of this quality, but I can't remember the name or brand right now.

Ilovelife

I have two of them. We always mean to get them out and never do. For me, they have ended up being a lot less useful than I thought. Who knows, maybe that will change and I will get the chance to go out in them.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Most interesting, but they sure are pricey. No warrantee on them like on their bigger rafts...at least none listed on their page.

Interior seating...after careful reading...was very minimal. Bet little people would enjoy them, though.

Hiring a Sherpa would probably be less expensive...!!

Rain

I remember hearing about a guy who took an inflatable kayak with him on his trip to Italy and went exploring the Grand Canal in his inflatable kayak. That's the best news for an inflatable I've ever heard of.

hippieP

That is pretty beefy on the wallet, and you have two of them? Heck sometimes I think the more I get into this hobby I am going to end up in the poor house.

Grandpa

When it comes to backpacking, the more you spend the less you get. (weight wise of course) Now a good air mattress (BA or T rest) is going to cost in the $100 range. I picked that website above at random but at 4.5 lbs with quality material, you are going to spend some bennies or you are going to pack a cheap piece of plastic that will snag and tear on the first stick it hits. A good inflatable river raft will cost in the $1000's. I cannot recommend the boat in the website because I have never seen it or used it but I would expect to have to pay a stiff price for a quality lightweight unit like that.

ppine

Forester
Aire inflatable kayaks out of Boise,ID can handle class III+ whitewater and haul gear in a two person size.

hikingprincess

You definitely do not want to go out in a cheap piece of junk. We did that once and that was all it took for us to learn our lesson. We sprung a leak after getting snagged on a stick and had to port it to shore with all of our gear in it.

ChadTower

They probably don't count for backpacking but inflatables are coming a long way quickly in terms of quality/price ratio.

Check out Sea Eagle. I have not tried one but hear great things from people I trust.

alex k

have a sea eagle kayak . great for the lakes , easy to fix if you get a leak , but a little heavy to backpack with ( if more than a half mile ) . bag it came with has no straps , but think it could fit into an army duffle bag .
have seen them on the calm part of lehigh river , but i'm not going to try it

ChadTower

I'd like to get 2-3 of them so my sons can paddle on their own boats. I don't really have the storage for 3 kayaks. We have a great canoe but they'd really like to have some freedom from Dad's back of the canoe decision making. How much of a pain would it be to manage three of them on a day trip?