Spider lake, High Uintas trek.

Cappy

It's a hard thing to do man and I understand completely ya dont have to retire just change ya style a bit and keep enjoying what ya can. Peggy and I both have had to do this for a variety of reasons some her some me. Now we research camping spots set a base camp in a good spot and make some short day walks. Instead of paddling in to the basin we motor in. Kill the motor drift in the quiet and start again. There are some areas we cant get to anymore but we enjoy what we can. Don't miss what ya cant revel in what you can. What you consider barely out is still better than cooped up in. You can still car/jeep/boat camp in some amazing beautiful places. If its solitude ya want I know you know lots of place you can get it by car.

Roybrew

Cappy is right. There is lots to see and experience with out becoming to physically demanding. I loved the pictures of the Frank Church Wilderness hike. I know I'll never go to all the areas you have been, but I sure do enjoy reading about them.

If it rolls or floats, it can carry camping gear.

ppine

Forester
We are at the same stage of our careers. Backpacking is starting to seem somewhat out of reach. I like day hikes, but I have no plans to backpack for the first time since about 1961. We have to keep moving though. We have to keep going out there.

Grandpa

Back a week and I'm already forgetting the pain and getting the itch to go again. I think it's time to load grandma and the dog in the truck and DRIVE to the next campsite.

Cappy

August is our least active month with the horrid summer heat and humidity we lay low and write and such. It's about all this chubby ole man can do just to keep the yard mowed and that is tough. We live for the fall and winter for our camping.

Roybrew

I need to go west. I've only been west when I was about 6 years old. Mom and dad took 2weeks off and hauled 5 of us kids in a station wagon from northern Michigan to LA. We did lots of site seeing, and went all over on the way there. I hardly remember much tho.

I would love to see those areas in the west, smell the Rocky MTN air and feel how different the humidity is. It be a coming one of these days soon.

Until then I enjoy reading your posts and love the pictures.

ppine

Forester
Roybrew,
Last year I was backpacking around the local mountains near my house the third week in August. The low was 28 degrees at 9,000 feet with low humidity. The days are maybe around the low 70s. The air feels like you want to put it in a bottle and take some home. Come on out, there is plenty of room for everyone. Get over the National Parks where all the people are and head for the National Forests and Wilderness Areas.

Grandpa

If they can build a road through it, they call it a National Park. The wilderness backcountry is where the good stuff is.

Cappy

There are magical places in the swamp very hard to get to requiring 3 days and 2 portages I do miss them since I just cant any more but instead of dwelling on that I revel in what I can do and there is great joy in camping in ourlil cam;er and walking the local trays and sitting by the fire in the morning with a warm cup. Shucks I love or back yard its kinda jungly and full of birds and critters. I revel in these things and try not to miss what I cant do any more.....too much

Roybrew

That all sounds awesome! The highest altitude I've hiked in was maybe 6,000 feet, and that was here in the Smokey's. I need to make a bucket list. I need big bucket.

Right now I need improve my back yard, needs to be more appealing for sitting. And waiting for wife's back to heal after she wonked it up trying to pick her mom up out floor. Uhn maybe we were meant to walk on all 4s.

Go West is on my bucket list.

Grandpa

Well Roybrew, WHEN you come west I'll be glad to share MY OPINIONS of the best places to visit, but even as I list them members of my own family will disagree with my choices. Now I prefer lots of water, high craggy granite peaks nestled in beds of pine, fir and spruce. Good fishing is a bonus. Here goes my list. 1. Sawtooth Wilderness, Idaho. 2. Wind Rivers, Wyoming. 3. High Uintas, Utah. Honorable mention, every where else. Every state west of the Front Range has its diamond trips and most have a whole jewelry store full of gems.

ppine

Forester
Headed to Death Valley tomorrow for some remote camping away from people. The weather predictions has changed. It is going to be warm around 80 and 50 at night. We sleep in the open on cots. No tent so we can see the stars. Simple food but lots of drinks and ice. My dog Ruby Begonia says she is ready to get out and see some country.