Splints?

Barney

What do you use to immobilize broken or sprained limbs? SAM splint is my weapon of choice. Do you know where it can be found in gray or drab color and not that orange/blue combination?

Grandpa

Sam splints are great. One of my doctor friends carries them. I'm not a doctor so (like Ppine) I am mentally prepared to fashion with whatever I have at hand. I've just never had to "make do" before.

IndianaHiker

From what I have seen if it is an offical SAM splint that just do the orange and blue. Those colors are their trademark so to speak. However there are off brands available. Find this after a quick search.

Nock off SAM Splint

After looking take that back these are made by the same company. Like these as you can cut to the size you need.

ponderosa

I've thought about picking up a SAM splint, but haven't done it. The only time we needed a splint, we cut a section out of a closed-cell foam pad (the old blue things), wrapped it around the leg in question with a tree branch on either side, and secured the whole thing with duct tape. It worked well enough, although no doubt a SAM would have been better.

Grandpa

The duct tape is an excellent "modern" invention for splinting. Back in the old days, we used to train (never had to really do it) by using cloth strips and even cordage to hold the splints in place. (just sayin in case you get in a bind and don't have tape)

Pathfinder1

ponderosa;

I've thought about picking up a SAM splint, but haven't done it. The only time we needed a splint, we cut a section out of a closed-cell foam pad (the old blue things), wrapped it around the leg in question with a tree branch on either side, and secured the whole thing with duct tape. It worked well enough, although no doubt a SAM would have been better.

Hi...

Actually, what you have done appears to be every bit as good as a SAM splint.

:yo:

Hikenhunter

The duct tape is an excellent "modern" invention for splinting. Back in the old days, we used to train (never had to really do it) by using cloth strips and even cordage to hold the splints in place. (just sayin in case you get in a bind and don't have tape)
Don't have duct tape? Duct tape is the 11th essential. Please don't leave home without it.

littlefire

If this were to happen to me, I imagine myself using tree limbs and duct tape. I always carry duct tape with me. Duct tape is one of the most useful inventions to date, in my opinion.