Standard and Auto

HikingGuy

Do they make ATVs both standard and automatic or do they just come one way? I have been eying them up recently but I need to get something my wife could drive as well and she doesn't do well with a standard.

deb60

I don't think I've ever seen a standard ATV. All of ours just have gears that you either push the pedal down or up with your foot or you use the electric gear on the handlebar.

HikingGuy

See, shows how much I know. Do they do test drives on ATVs? I think that would be the only way my wife would be able to see if she could drive it?

deb60

I'm sure they do, I know the place by us lets you test drive ATV's. I don't think they would sell as many if they didn't. You could also look for an auction that has ATV's and such, you can usually drive them around.

HikingGuy

There is a huge auction coming up, I am going to have to check out if they have any, probably would be cheaper than buying one new too until we learn how to drive one properly.

uncletom

uncletom

If your planning on buying a USED ATV-- Use caution. Many Many Many parts that can go wrong, especially if it hasn't been taken care of. Parts for these machines are not cheap, believe me , Ive been stung twice.

hunter44mag

The come both manual and auto. I have an auto, nice!! I have had it several years, no regrets. Auto is handy when you are wearing heavy boots or some other reason that you ankle/foot doesn't have free range of motion. Not that it matters, but mine is a Yamaha 350 bruin, not big, not small.

IndianaHiker

You can get many type of shifters. there is manual both but in most cases no clutch. There is auto only and some that do both.

Test rides are hard to come by. Most dealerships because of insurance reasons don't allow test rides even in the parking lot. Best way to ride on is to rent one form someplace or find a friend that has one. One other option is many areas have dealer days where a manufacturer will bring in demos for people to test.

Bojib

I feel like I'm resurrecting another old thread here, but it may be good information to have out there.

As Indiana Hiker mentioned, there are many types of shifters out there.

There are ATV's with manual clutches, but you find those mostly on the pure sport ATVs. Usually they are two wheel drive, chain driver machines. Actually pretty fun on the trails, but are more geared to racing type riding.

Then you have Auto Clutch shifters. They are pretty much what it sounds like. There is a foot shifter, but the clutch auto engages when you shift gears, all you do is let off the gas to keep it from over revving when shifting. You find these on a lot of mid size Utility, and entry level sport models (250cc to 500cc size engine).

There are also the full automatic ATVs out too. They generally have a shifter you can reach with your left or right hand, depending on the brand. Some just have Forward, Neutral, and Reverse. Others have two forward gears, a High range for normal riding, and Low range for tougher terrains and work duty. They have a CVT belt driven transmission. You just put them in gear and go, no figuring on what gear to put them in. You usually find these on larger Utility ATVs and very few sport ATVs. Originally, back in the 90's, they weren't so reliable, mostly due to water getting on them, but recent years from 2000's and up are much more reliable. The companies got better at sealing the belt up and protecting it from the elements, and are actually very reliable now. You will find these mostly on 450cc ATVs and up, although I have see some new models coming out with them on models down to 300cc.

danny28

I didn't know they had standard ATVs. We have 3 at our house. 2 of them have the clutch on the foot - you life it to move up a gear. 1 has the clutch on the foot and the button on the handlebar.

campclose

We have a manual shift ATV - shifter is on the handlebar. We also have 2 that you have to shift with your foot. My cousin has one that you don't shift at all. It's an odd one.