Striped bass trophy fishing season could be canceled in Virginia as population declines

jason

fear no beer
Virginia officials are weighing whether to cancel this year’s fishing season for large rockfish in the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay out of concern for its dwindling numbers.
The rockfish season in Virginia will begin Saturday along the Potomac River and its tributaries, then days later in the bay. But indications that the population of the fish, also called striped bass, is declining raised concerns that further catches could have a long-term effect on the species.

Full Story

Cappy

Wild life regulations can be tough to swallow at times but those guys do amazing work and are hardly every praised if they say they need to cancel or reduce a fishery Believe them. You may well remember the days of catching unlimited amounts of red fish. They were almost wiped out when a fAT CHEF BURNED ONE AND MADE IT FAMOUS. Now thanks to strict regulation the population has come roaring back and now huge fish are once again easy to find. The striper regulations may be hard to take now but just wait and see. Those wildlife foks are very good at managing fisheries.

jason

fear no beer
Yeah, they cut Redfish for a while due to the red tide we had. I think next month you can start keeping them. I don't mind, but some of the local guides were upset. I haven't had time to fish anyway.

Roybrew

They close a section of the local lake here in the hottest part of the summer, so they can protect and preserve alot of striped bass. The section is near the dam and is very deep. Large stripers congregate there for the deeper and cooler waters. They are excellent eating. First one I caught, many years ago, I asked an older guy fishing near me about the food quality. He said to cut out the reddish brown strrak, cut the meat in chunks and friends it. Very good eating.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Roybrew

Stupid spell check. Cut cut out the reddish brown streak, and fry it. Maybe my spell check wasn't turned on?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk