Taco Chicken foil packs

Greatoutdoors

I found a few new foil pack recipes awhile back and I know those are always popular here since they make for an easy campfire dinner.

Ingredients:

4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 tsp. taco seasoning mix
1/2 lb. red potatoes (about 2), peeled, thinly sliced
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup sour cream

Directions:

SPRINKLE chicken with seasoning mix. Place 1/4 of the potatoes on center of each of 4 large sheets of heavy-duty foil; top with chicken, cheese and salsa.

FOLD foil to make 4 packets, leaving room for heat circulation inside. Place on baking sheet.

BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is done (170°F). Cool 5 min. Cut slits in foil to release steam before opening packets. Top with sour cream.

The original directions are to bake it in a 400 degree oven but we have done it on the campfire and on the grill.

ponderosa

Sounds tasty. I think I'll try it with boneless/skinless thighs just because I prefer them. I may add some big chunks of red & green bell pepper and mushrooms. Does the cheese stick to the foil?

carmen

I would do the same. Long are the days that I fight with bones in my food, I guess I am getting a little lazy in my old age. For us when we do chicken tacos at home we over sauce since the husband loves the charred taste.

Greatoutdoors

I didn't have a problem with the cheese sticking to the foil Ponderosa, and I bet it would be really good with chicken thighs too.

Cappy

Been wrapping stuff in foil and cooking in coals far back as I can remember. When a kid I carried a folded pack of foil with some seas:tinysmile_grin_t:eek:nings in my tackle box. I often would walk to the bayou bank find a shady spot under a tree and spend the day fishing, reading, spending the evening fishing. Nothing like fresh just caught fish baked in the foil in the coals. The foil seals in the natural juices and the flavor is always better when cooked on a bayou bank.

Grandpa

Cappy, we could debate all night whether that fish tastes better along a bayou or a high alpine lake. But you are definately right. Nothing like a fresh caught fish baked in foil over hot coals right where it gave its all for your supper. And sometime, we'll have to get grandma and Peg and have that debate.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

TakeAHike

That sounds absolutely delicious! I have all of that stuff on hand, so maybe that will be dinner tomorrow! It would be tonight, except i already have steaks marinating in the fridge.

Blueskyy

This one sounds like a winner to me too! I like the idea of throwing in the bell peppers too. I will definitely have to give this one a try. :)

OutdoorMomma

I'm going to have to try this one the next time we go camping. We get sick of the same few things over and over again, and I rather enjoy surprising the relatives with something super tasty cooked over the fire.

Cappy

Good friend of mine owns 60 acres of remote woodland and for years we go there several times for a camping hunting trip. Totally off grid tent camping but I sleep in the back of the suv so I can use my cpap. A few years ago pre seasoned boneless pork roast were popular and sold in local stores. The roasts came highly seasoned and in a string net to hold them together. Rapped in aluminum foil and buried in the camp fore they came out amazing and we had one along with us several years in a row.

One year we buried the thing covered it with camp fire went to drinking and forgot about it. Later I had an awh Snap moment and dug it out. It was surprisingly light. We unwrapped a black cinder burned through and through no roast to be found. OOOPS we dug out a couple packs of weenies and went to roasting them instead. Funny but out of the 12 or so roasts we cooked the burnt one is the one I remember. Camping is like that. :beer3: