Teaching Kids to Ride

Northern Dancer

Hi ND,
Took most of January off. Back in the barn teaching on Sat. 11 yo loves riding. We are making great progress. This spring will start using a saddle more and move from a rope halter to a snaffle bit or trad hackamore. Sun we had a training session with about 15 people. I have a new 12 yo starting next week. S is very bright and loves horses. She has ridden else where in the past. But she is very serious about everything and my goal is to get her to relax and lighten up.

Kids are fun to goof around with. I do things like bursting into a Gene Autry song like "Back in the Saddle Again" while we are working a horse. The critters are honest. Once you learn to speak horse you can see what they are thinking. Movement of the ears, head carriage, licking and chewing, the big exhale. Kids and horses together are a powerful combination. I encourage everyone to spend time with animals every week. I live with three dogs.
-----> I can see the twinkle in your eye and the smile on your face as you go about your good deeds. I'm glad you are doing things that bring you a sense of joy. We need that in our lives as much as the people we work with.

ppine

Forester
Just got 13 inches of snow. yeah.
Last Saturday I was working with a big German Warmblood I have known for 6 years. Former hunter/jumper. I held Rascal's head and synchronized my breathing with hers in the warm sunshine. Then I whipered in her ear and told her how much I cared about her. Then I softly blew my breath into her nose. This lasted about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, my new student a 12 yo girl was taking a nap on her back without a saddle. None of this was planned, but I can tell you I won't forget it.

"Animals make us better humans." Temple Grandin