Tent inside a tent?

Jimbo

I was thinking about putting my tent inside my 10 x 10 canopy and buying a cover that goes around all 4 sides of my canopy.
I was thinking this would cut down on condensation, dew, wind and rain from even coming into contact with my tent. Any thoughts?

Fox38

I think it's a great idea. Does your normal tent have a tarp on it? You could just remove that. When we used to tent camp that was my least favorite thing, the wetness of the tent in the morning.

lbean

Yeah there is nothing worse then everything getting all damp. I think putting your tent in a tent or under and over some sort of canopy is a good idea. Let us know if it works! Worse thing that can happen is people will look and stair.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I actually did it this past weekend and it worked pretty well. It rained really hard over night and although some water saturated the canopy and did come through to the tent, the tent fly was a good second layer to prevent a good soaking. I was bone dry inside and pretty happy with the result. I don;t think it will replace a good tarp, but I pitched my tent in a clearing as it was the only viable spot. There was no way for me to rig a tarp unless I just draped it over the tent and weighed it down with rocks. My buddy convinced me to give the canopy a try and as I said, it actually worked fairly well. I don't think it would be good for more than an over night shower though unless I water-proofed the canopy itself. I may do that.

I did not have sides on the canopy as mine came with mesh sides and the mesh is actually a liability in the rain. Brush up against it and you're soaked!

WalkingMan

That's a wonderful idea! We get a lot of dew where I live so everything usually gets wet where we live even if we haven't had a rain. I may try that the next time we head to our local campground.

SuperFish

I do this myself and it works wonderfully. I got a massive tent for $100 and have two tents inside it, one for us and one for the kids.

1eyedhawk

I camp year round with the boy scouts and are troop uses tarps staked to the ground over are tents this keeps water and snow out and helps keep the warmth in

IndianaHiker

I wouldn't want to bring 2 tents. If you are getting wet inside the tent due rain or due then your tent has a leaking problem. The tent may need to have the seams sealed or tp be replaced. The only other reason that you should be getting wet in a tent is due to condensation. If this is the case using 2 tents wont stop this of the smaller tent is sealed and not allowed to vent. The best way to avoid condensation is to have a tent that is not a single wall tent. My tents are mesh on the inside and have a fly that covers them. Even with this set up I still get some conensation on really cold nights. However the condesation happens on the fly and due to the shape of the tent it doesn't drip on me it rolls down the fly onto the ground and I am still dry.

Chary

This is a wonderful idea and I am really excited that you shared it on this forum. The dampness and the possibility of rain are the only two things that dampen my spirit when it comes to camping. This sounds like a great solution and I can't wait to try it.

Scout

I like to minimize how much I carry camping. I now have a tent with a rainfly that goes all the way to the ground a footprint for under the tent & a vestibule .... the best way to go in my book. It is on its 11th year. I have 2 canopies exactly alike. I treated both to repel water. They have the shock corded poles for the top that make an X just like a simple tent. The corner poles are shock corded too. You can stake them anywhere. They fold up into bags the size of a regular camp chair bag size 6"x 6" x28" One over the picnic table or my camp kitchen so to speak & the other over the camp chairs. This amounts to 3 bags & makes a great camp setup & works good in the rain or heavy dew. I always have a couple of cheap paint tarps & clothes pins or thin rope to use for a quick solution or to shield a certain direction. I've been known to throw one over a tent & clothes pin it to the poles before I had this tent. Too much stuff to have tent within a tent ...canopy over a tent would work & I would do that if needed too but I don't with this tent! I sealed the seams when it was new & from the inside. I sealed anything that looked ike a seam or a stitch... I agree with Indiana Hiker
OH! btw...condensation comes from breathing/too tight of a tent /no fresh air/ the netting under a rainfly should keep the air fresh...keep the top of a window unzipped a tinch where the rainfly covers it too /cross ventilation

Last edited: