Tents or hammocks?

Cappy

i have used both and for me they both are fun and have their places. Down here in the deep south as a kid I had a couple jungle hammocks army surplus. They were great with skeeternet sides and a canvas roof. I have actually set them up while canoeing over water. hard to pitch a tent there.

Cappy

I enjoyed your article and do agree with ya they are great for small packing. I have actually slept in mine on the ground used it like a tent when no trees around. In the deep south i also learned a pad or blanket on the actual hammock surface is very much needed skeeters can get ya right through a thin nylon hammock so extra protection by a folded army blanket or something works well for comfort and padding from blood suckers. You also learn to sleep in the middle avoiding contact with the netting. a body part touching the netting while ya sleep is also available the the skeeters. You learn that one the hard way in the swamps.

Adventuremule

Yes my arms still get bites. I also like to spray the straps with a good repellent so the tree bugs stay away. That has helped quit a bit. That’s a good idea to figure out a way to actually not have the net touch you. Thanks for that information. I never thought about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Roybrew

I've done both. I like how small a hammock packs. I do like a blanket in the bottom of one cause I like a little insulation. Even at 75 degrees at night, a slight breeze thru that fabric of the hammock can feel cold on your bare skin. I remember one time I was standing on an ants nest when putting my strap around a tree. Little suckers ate me up. One time I was woke up by the sounds of claws on tree bark. I shined my light at the pine tree I was strapped to and there were a couple of racoons within inches of my toes. I always keep a light hanging on my ridge line. I like to check the ground before I put my feet down. I'd hate to step on a slithery or crawly critter. The tarp is a must if your under a thick or large tree. Something sure made a mess of my tarp one night, would've been bad if I didn't have one. It it's going to be fair weather and not to cold, I'd rather sleep in a hammock, but cold and dripping with rain I'd rather be in a tent.

Grandpa

I've never tried backpacking with a hammock. Here in the west there are too many locations we camp where there are no trees to tie to. Above timberline, and desert areas make it difficult. Also, the weather can change rapidly and it's nice to have that tent for the afternoon shower.