The Channels Area Preserve, Abingdon Va

Roybrew

I don't know why they call this The Channels? Odd name. But I was very surprised to say the least. Some one told us about this place, so we thought we would check it out. The trail head started in a pretty remote area. There is no visitors building or any other thing like most theme parks, and no fee, I loved that also. We found the small pull off parking area, and we had some reservations about leaving our vehicle out in the booneys like that, plus we questioned if this was the proper trail head. According to my trail map app, we were at the right spot. The trail followed a lightly gravel forest road for maybe half a mile, and then the trail road cut off it and then it was an old fire tower road that has deteriorated over decades of years from misuse.
typical trail.
There was an old fire tower built on these rocks. The sign was barely noticeable amongst all the laurel and rhododendron.
It was like we were decending into an area where only trolls would live.
There was some very old laurel growing down here.
I hope you enjoyed this.

Cappy

Very cool area thanks for sharing I loved seeing all the pics as ya know we live in a very flat area so the rocky places yall go always fascinate me.

Roybrew

Yes sir, a flat piece of dirt is very expensive here. Growing up we had a farm which consisted of 90 acres. 95 of it was the side of a mountain. Our cows had 2 short legs on one side. We grew vegetables and tobacco on the almost level 2 acres. That tobacco sure is some nasty stuff to work in, of course I grew up smoking and chewing it.

Cappy

We are from very different areas for sure. Both beautiful in their own ways and thats what I love about this forum is getting to see and share different areas.

Roybrew

@Cappy, Yes I would love to paddle around in a wet land with cypress trees and moss hanging down from the limbs. We do live different parts of the country. One of these days I'll get down that way, and see what it's all about.

@ppine, I would've called it the Crevasses or something like that, but I guess maybe Channels is more fitting. There was plenty more of these around, but I don't think they are accessible. There were no trails to the other parts, so maybe in the winter time be best to explore. I wouldn't want to walk up on a toothy thing with a rattle, or one with copper colored patches.