The Money Pit

Cappy

Well yesturday we hauled our beloved lil 18 ft ultra lite camper to the repair shop. :tinysmile_cry_t3::tinysmile_cry_t3:It seems huricane Isaac caused a leak in the slide out part and we have water damage. Looking at some pretty major repairs replacing flooring some wall and fixing the leak. Guess we shouldnt complain too much. Lots of folks across the river from us were flooded 8 ft deep. OUr camper is insured so its a good chance to see if those premiams will pay off. With the trailer in the shop being repaired guess camping is out this weekend, and there aint but one thing left to do............ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:car:

CozInCowtown

Yeah, I know you have a boat also!!
If you are into spending lots of money I can send my teenage daughter to you this summer, them are REAL EXPENSIVE!!!

ChadTower

Are you sure you want to be sending your teenager daughter off on a summer vacation at the lake? That's a teenage party movie waiting to happen. :nono:

You should keep her home and send yourself! :fish2:

TakeAHike

At least you were insured so it shouldn't cost you too much out of pocket. My parents have a 36 foot pull behind trailer and I can't tell you how many wind storms tore off their awning. That thing was replaced about 10 times. Crazy! Hopefully they can get you all fixed up pretty quickly.

Cappy

I had told the camper place if its over 2k call me and Ill set up insurance claim. Well he did while we were road trippin so I called. Think I may have been a lil too honest cause when I said possible hurricane damage that changed the whole thing. I finally got a claim # set up with State Farms disaster division. We will see how "like a good neighbor" they really are.

Cappy

Oh, and yea I have a boat too. It needs a new canvas top a tune up and some work on the trailor, but I only like to poor money into my yard in one hole at a time. I will see ya teenage daughter and raise ya 13 grand kids. :p

cabinfever

Saw the post title and came in thinking y'all were talking about my house! That sure is what it feels like around here right now.

Sorry to hear about the damage, Cappy. Hopefully, they get it all looking good as new for you, so maybe next weekend you can do some camping. If you can call living out of an 18" trailer 'camping', that is. ;)

carmen

Being insured is a great thing when the unexpected happens. We had to repair our roof due to hail damage recently and I was more than thankful for it. Who are you using for your insurance company?

wvbreamfisherman

Gee, I think we all have a some Money Pit things going on. My house needs a new roof, I just had to put over $500 in my wife's car (new front drive shaft- on an all-wheel drive), and just over a month ago it was a new fuel pump for the pickup @ $360 for the pump and $100 for installation....

Good times...

ChadTower

Ugh. I refinanced my house a few years ago to a lower rate. During the transition process we had some storm damage that exposed our electrical weatherhead as being turned the wrong way and collecting water instead of preventing it. As a result I had to have my entire electrical panel replaced and the weatherhead fixed.

The mortgage broker we used had properly cancelled our existing home insurance (which is conditioned to our mortgage) but never instated a new policy. We were effectively left without home insurance and thus no coverage for the damage. Had to pay out of pocket for all of the damage/repairs and almost for bail money when I nearly choked out the mortgage broker. I don't even want to think about what might have happened if it were more than the couple thousand dollars in damage.

JeepThrills

The same thing happened to a friend of ours. Ironically, the camper was already at the repair shop when the place flooded. They got the insurance money, but decided to use it to pay for a swimming pool instead.

ejdixon

Yikes! That's good to know that it's insured. The bill wouldn't be a very pretty sight to see.

BGreen

The absolute worst thing about RV as a hobby is the expense you run into you hadn't planned on. Somehow the idea of outdoor living sounds inexpensive and even free, which it can be. Then we start collecting our toys. That's when the trouble starts.

Cappy

Well here it is 3 months to the day since I started this post and the camper place just called and said we can go get our camper, perfect timing too cause I go to work tomorrow.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t It's been a long weird deal but the pieces fell into place just right and hopefully back to normal this afternoon.

Cappy

This chapter of the money pit is finally over somewhere between the finance company, insurance company, and our lil emergency fund our lil camper now sits in the driveway stabilized and pluged in. We just got home and set it up and still managed to have a couple hundred left in the checking account. I ship out in da morning and have a month to fatten it back up so we can be off on another adventure.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I think the sequal will be the B.O.A.T. WE ALL KNOW WHAT THAT STANDS FOR.:tinysmile_tongue_t::tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Reed

Are you an OTR trucker with no kids Cappy? You seem to have money coming out of your ears. Good to hear about your RV though. I've heard those things are a necessity for gypsy's.