The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

The Generator showed up late yesterday so while running errands and writing and piddling around I got it all unboxed unpacked and read through the manual. Pretty straight forwards and I was thrilled to see it came with a lp regulated hose, funnel, spark plug wrench, and a cord to plug into the 12V outlet with gater clamps on the other end for battery charging. Gonna get the wife to cut the leg off an old pair of jeans and make me a gear bag for it. If I get the chance I will get a few pics and maybe oil it up and test run it. After all my chores which included getting a battery for my rusty ole jeep and oil for the Gen I didn't have time to oil it up gas it up[ and start it. Supper and a cold beer was calling me.

Roybrew

Took the canoe out again this morning. Put in at a different area, and had to portage everything about a 1/4 mile. Then the bank was grown up with weeds, Vines and luckily roots. It was a good 3 feet down to the water. So I slid the canoe down and beat around the water line at the bank, so I wouldn't surprise any slithery critter that may be hugging the roots. Other than some stinky slimy mud, not much for good pictures and no fish. [emoji19] I almost got poo'd on by some birds in a tree overhead.

Got home took a nap and finished my camping tote. I put some feet on it, to keep it off the dirt. A couple good coats of urathane and all I need is more vacation days, that I don't have. I need some way to secure the top on[emoji848]

Cappy

The box is really coming along and looks great those feet are a great addition and down here in the soggy south a must. With heavy boxes we have to add surface area to legs by connecting 2 of tehm with a plate like skis to increase surface area and prevent sink-age

Roybrew

Finally got a chance to get out and try out the kelty backpack I got on EBay. I have been off all week, but got tied down with a remodeling project. I was hoping for some camping, but another time I guess.

Here it is in October and the leaves are barely getting any color in them. I played pack mule and loaded a little more weight in my backpack then I normally carry for a day hike.
We followed the ridge line looking at the veiws and then caught a trail that took us down into the valley toward the upper part of the lake. The beavers had a the feeder streams dammed up creating their own private pond. It was cool when we set out, about 64 degrees and was in the upper 70s when returned.

Apparently someone set this backpack in a the soot of a camp fire.
Oh well, a little Shout laundry cleaner and s water hose fix the problem.

I like how the pack carries more of the weight on my hips then pulling on my shoulders.

Cappy

Great to see yall out and about. still in the 90's here. We do most of our walking now in stores and church and such sticking to the AC cant wait for that to change though. In a couple weeks we hope to head over to Toledo bend area and meet with daughter and em in their big camper for a few days that will be a good start.

Cappy

I just reserved 4 night stay at toledo bend state park, It's a scouting trip of sorts to check out the camp ground for future trips who knows it may be a new site on or favorite go to spots I'll let yall know next week

jason

fear no beer
Well football for my son is over for the year. First year playing, same goes for 75% of the kids on the team. They shown great improvement over the year, but wasn't enough to get passed first round of playoffs. Flag football starts up in January however, and they start training camps for regular football around March.

Now it is time for catching up on things. Got wood to split, chickens and turkeys to process, tons of yard work and then regular work to do.

I am wondering if we are going to participate in fall this year. Would like to get some camping in.

Attachments

Grandpa

Our State football tournaments start this Friday. Got a grandson playing. Defensive tackle, leads the team in sacks. It was minus 1 F here this morning. I just might miss Fridays game.

Cappy

Back from our camping trip. It was lots of fun. Moore like glamping as SOL has a huge 40' goose neck camper it was amazing Fully controlled by his smart phone. It was sorta fun to watch. Alls I know is I don't even have a smart phone and that thing is far too complex for me. My ole daddy always said the more complex a thing is the more there is to go wrong with it.

Cappy

Sure enough they got home and set up only to find the heater and tv dont work instead of trouble shooting things like fuses breakers and connections they hadda call a guy out, who will be there in a day or 2 cause of warranty

Cappy

80 degrees today and 90 % humidity front supposed to come through tonight so I think I'll do some home things and wait till tomorrow to resume the yard stuff

Roybrew

Been 60s here during the day, and the nights have been close to upper 30s. We did have a little frost one morning last week. Rain today and temp dropping tonight. Like most of you all, I've been cleaning leaves and brush. Still got some green leaves on the trees. Missed my fall camping trip this year. Going to get down below 30 next few days.

Roybrew

Wow we got snow! Probably the only snow we see this winter. Going to be dropping down to the teens tonight. Oh well, got more remodeling going on right now. Indoor stuff.

Cappy

We had a light freeze last night and thankfully not long enough to hurt anything just enough to make the citrus sweeter.

Roybrew

Cool all week. Highs maybe 55 and down to upper 20s at night.
Sitting here this morning watching the sun rising above the ridge behind our house. I always enjoy watching it creep down the MTN till it gets to the house.

It's been a heck of a year. Wife's mother passed away a couple of months ago. She was 88, and a great lady. She lived with us for the past 8 years. My father fell and broke his hip about that time, and is slowly recovering. Wife hurt her back last spring helping her mom up when she fell, and she's still getting over that.

I'm staying optimistic. I'll bet money that it'll be warmer in December. Its been like that past few years.

jason

fear no beer
Love that weather @Roybrew . We are "unusually" cool here with highs in the 60s- mid 70's. So the windows are open and the fresh air in the house is nice.

Sorry to hear about the passing and the other injuries though. I hope your father and wife will recovery soon.

Staying optimistic is good, although I know it can be difficult.

My wife has named one of our turkey's Bert and he is getting big. My parents refuse to use him for Thanksgiving, so he may be around another two weeks or so.

The kids are hatching eggs for a home school project. So far two are doing good, we sadly lost the first one that hatched. Got another two dozen going.

Attachments

Roybrew

Thank you Jason. I bet ole Bert would look real good breast up golden brown with cranberries around his neck, and a pile of corn bread stuffing near the other end.

Cappy

We have decided that rather go through the trouble Thanksgiving we will go out and eat Chinese. It is just the 2 of us so instead of ding turkey or ham and all the sides and making all the mess in the kitchen and on the patio only to have weeks worth of leftovers we w let the Chinese wash and clean up after us. We are looking forwards to the buffet me for the shrimp and frog legs and her......not that. Get what we want all we want and take our time and get home to a clean kitchen a comfy chair and full belly then back to tradition a thanksgiving evening nap.

jason

fear no beer
We have decided that rather go through the trouble Thanksgiving we will go out and eat Chinese. It is just the 2 of us so instead of ding turkey or ham and all the sides and making all the mess in the kitchen and on the patio only to have weeks worth of leftovers we w let the Chinese wash and clean up after us. We are looking forwards to the buffet me for the shrimp and frog legs and her......not that. Get what we want all we want and take our time and get home to a clean kitchen a comfy chair and full belly then back to tradition a thanksgiving evening nap.
For two people I don't blame you. Two years while I was single my family decided not to do Thanksgiving. One year I did a turkey breast for myself, the other I did a normal meal. However, when you say Chinese for Thanksgiving (and yes I know this wasn't Thanksgiving) I think of this:

Cappy

Naturally we thought of it too. We have done a big meal for just us before and Always feel bad with the big production mess and lots and lots of left overs. Now we do not waste and save left overs for future meals and such. Did a big ham last year and cubed the left overs for bean seasoning and it was great. Left over turkey gumbo and one of my favorites left over turkey spaghetti. But truly The mess and clean up aint worth it the Chinese buffet is very good and down here they have like shrimp cooked a bunch of ways and several other great seafood dishes, and like the clip they are open most holidays.