The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

Over the years I have come to feel that some of you are my friends. Though we aint met I still feel close to yall and wonder whas up in your world. Several of the forums I visit have a off topic say hello kind of thing so I am gonna try to start one here. Drop a note from time to time just to say hi and let us know what ya up to.

Cappy

OK will start by saying I was able to make a couple repairs on the camper for free yesterday. I climbed on the roof took the cover off the AC removed 3 wasp nest that were jamming the fan. Thankfully the wasps had all left. Freed the fan lubed the bearing now the Ac works like a champ. If ya wondering why AC the 7 day forecast is for 85-90 F with humidity creeping up to 80% till we may have our first cool front by next week.

Had a water drip so after taking off the mattress to expose the pluming Turned out all I hadda do was reposition a hose clamp and tighten it good. 2 quick fixes for free. It was nice to see the camper roof was sturdy too.

Grandpa

After traveling a couple hundred miles last night to watch grandsons HSfootball game, (they lost) I dumped grandma off at her sisters for a day or two. Grand daughter is here with a couple of the greats while her hubby has a job in our north woods. The higher ground here has a dusting of the white stuff this morning (down to about 8500 ft) but still just sprinkles down here.

MacGyver

Been watching the extended weather forecast for out in western Maryland for about a week and damn if the expected rain isn't leaving the picture for the trip I'm supposed to take next weekend. It varies a bit... 30 to 60% chance for 3 out of the four days... but IT'S NOT GOING AWAY!

Traditionally, the first Fall trip of the year is the one we get the most people showing up - we've had as many as two dozen - but it ain't looking good this year. With peoples' vacations already set, there's no chance of postponing the trip.

The big question is, do YOU go when rain is in the forecast? I'm fed up with "civilization" enough that I don't mind sitting under a tarp for a few days. How 'bout you guys?

Cappy

It always rains when we go camping of course ya gotta take a few things in consideration when we go its never less than a week and quite often a month. Also it rains from 70 to 90 inches of rain a year. Last month we got 3 feet of rain. We have spent 4 days in heavy rain camping many times. When it rains hard we listen to music cook too much read play cards etc. Do stuff when we can and really enjoy the quiet time off the grid.

Cappy

Oh and thank yall for the input. On the weather front its still in the mid 80s and predicted to hit 90 this coming week with high humidity. The first 70ish day aint predicted till this time next week. We are beginning to prepare our fall winter gardens and I figure a trip to Lowes is in our future. Garden stuff and supplies. Since we will be in town we may stop at the piza place for a college game night special. Good ole Louisiana Saturday Night!

Cappy

I aint a walk around the block kinda guy. I see neighbors walk around the block fast walking looking at their wrist gadgets then I see them on some big mowering zipping around their small yards. Being an ole country boy with a part yard part jungle I have a 21" push mower I just came in from a water break after doing a couple miles of walking. pushing my lil mower around the front yard. Got some bending stretching duck walking dome going around our big plu trees. In the mean time Peg is raking and burning and cleaning up the back yard getting it ready for me to mow. It's 88 F but partly cloudy with a breeze so not to bad.

Grandpa

My favorite "go to" place is a high alpine lake in the Sawtooths. It sits in a beautiful cirque at around 9000 feet. I have some awesome summer pictures there but have always wondered what it looked like under snow. A few years ago, we were having a late winter with no snow up there yet in the middle of November. Then I heard about a big heavy snow coming so Tank and I jumped in the car and headed out. With snowshoes strapped on my back we started climbing the six mile trail with 1600 feet of elevation. The plan was to get up there and get set before the storm hit, spend the night or whatever it took until the weather cleared so I could get my pictures. About half way, I took a break and some pictures of the dusting already on the peaks. The weather was looking ugly so we hurried on up the trail. Within a half mile of my goal, I realized I had left that fancy new camera they gave me when I retired sitting on a rock at that break spot. It was already starting to snow. Tank was getting nervous because there were fresh wolf tracks going our way as well. Two choices, hurry on up and get set but not get any pictures and possibly tangle with a wolf, or turn around and save my camera. Tank said it was time to go back so we did. Found my camera okay and also found about six inches of snow by the time we got to the car. That storm lasted about three days.

Bottom line is I have never shied away from a storm unless other factors entered in. Likewise, I have never worried about aborting a plan when the time to abort came around. This comes from experience and experience comes from surviving your earlier mistakes.

I'm sure we would have got off the mountain okay but my car would have probably wintered in that parking lot and Tank and I would have had to hitchhike home.

Cappy

Great story Man hope ya and the grand gal are having a good weekend.
I just finished push mowing the front yard and as I came around to the back pateo where I started from the mower ran outa gas. Sign from above to drink another qt of water and gas up and start again. After that if we have time its a quick shower and off to Lowes. If I get the chance I'll tell ya about the rainy start to trout season adventure later.

Cappy

Woo hoo yard work all done shower took and a fresh pair of bibs and a saints tee shirt on soon as Peg gets gussied up we off to lowes and possably pizza and a 6 pack for the game tonight We gonna watch in hte comfort of our den still way too hot to go to a game and fight the skeeters and this way we can get as roudy as we wanna and throw pillows at da tv if needed. Hopefully wont get that bad though.

Cappy

Back from town half hour till game time Picked up a qt for the way home e got pizza one for her gluten free and regular for me. 12 sacks of miricle garden soil on sale every 3 or 4 years I like to mix in some good stuff with our garden soil. Just opened a tall boy look out La Saturday night.

oldsarge

Wow Cappy, I need to move out your way. 80 degrees....I'm definitely not looking forward to the colder season. I still haven't been out hiking around, going on three years now. Been dealing with a bum knee, but there's light at the end of this damn tunnel. I'm due for a partial knee replacement on 1 November. Can't wait, I'm so tired of hobbling around. It's a good thing all around. The time off work will reset my attitude big time! Work has been way too busy dealing with a new account with one of the local refineries.

My Son is a Marine reservist and has drill this weekend, so my pool shooting buddy is away. Pool is about the only activity I do right now. I do get a chance to hit the range every now and then to pop off a few rounds down range. The only other activity I get is mowing mine and my Mothers lawn.

Sorry for no exciting stories of outdoor exploits, maybe in a few months I'll be getting out again. The hounds miss getting out in the woods and I'm anxious to get them out again.

Cappy

my 2 God sons are master sgnts in the marines. I miss your stories Sarge das why I started this thread. Us ole farts dont gto out like we usta but we still live good lives. This is a place for us to talk about pool games or gardening or beigh proud to cut the whole yard in one day and celibrating with a lil too much beer and a pie. We won big time!!!!!!!

Simplify

Interesting talking about rain. Having lived in AZ for 5 1/2 years now rain is a welcome sight. When I lived in NE I would hike in the rain. I was determined to have fun regardless of the weather. There is no such thing as bad hiking/biking weather, just poor choices of clothing.

Last weekend I tried my hand at making my own gear so I got some egg carton shape foam and some green fabric. I cut the fabric to size and sewed it and inserted the foam to make a sleeping pad. It came out pretty well and brought a sense of satisfaction. Have some other projects in mind like sewing pockets on the inside of pants legs to keep cash and cards safe from pickpockets while travelling, making bicycle panniers and maybe even trying to make a cloth tent.

Work has slowed down some. There were a few layoffs but I survived them. Am mulling possibilities for what to do if further layoffs come and might see if I could transfer to one of the company's other plants or maybe move back to NE. I am kind of missing the green and four seasons.

Cappy

We got one of those egg carton things to put on our camper mattress its kinda thin. We put it on top and put one of throe quilted rubber lined mattress protectors over it. every once in a rare while rain catches us with the vent open and the pee pad protects the foam and mattress. Made an amazing difference and now my hip bone dont hit bottom when I turn over. The crate added more than I woulda thought so it should make a great home made pad.

Grandpa

Cappy, I just don't know how you survive down there. I'd go crazy if I couldn't curl up in front of a wood stove fire with a book five or six months a year.:bbq2: