Trivia 3/13/18

jason

fear no beer
Two questions, since I will be gone next week.

The Appalachian National Scenic Trail runs through how many states?

What is the average time it takes to thru-hike the trail?

Grandpa

I'm guessing about 10 states and 5 months.

Okay, did some checking, don't follow my guess, I was waaayyyy off.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't know this one either. The only part of this I was on was in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I hiked along the border of Tenn./N. Carolina at over 5000 feet. It was worth it. As I recall there was over seventy miles of it. And I think the whole thing runs through more than ten states and is hundreds of miles long. I should think it would take months to hike it if you stopped to enjoy the scenery. There's got to be someone here that knows more about this than I do.

Terasec

guessing 9 states,
as for average time? don't know why I am thinking 6 months, seems like a long time, but am sticking with my answer,
for now

just checked
wont spoil it for others

jason

fear no beer
The trail itself goes through 14 states. The average time it takes to complete it is 5-7 months.

Bonus facts:

It 2017 Joe McConaughy completed the trail northbound in 45 days, 12 hours and 15 minutes, self-supported.
In 2015 Heather Anderson completed the trail southbound in 54 days, 7 hours and 48 minutes, self-supported.

There is an extension of the trail, known as the International Appalachian Trail that crosses Maine, through Canada with sections continuing in Greenland, through Europe and into Marocco.

The Eastern Continental Trail extension goes south into Alabama to Florida.