Twig Stoves

Roybrew

Does anyone actually use Twig Stoves?

Screenshot_20221112-202714-302.jpg I've considered making one out of a coffee can, but they don't pack very easily. Maybe I can wear it on my head like Johnny Appleseed wore a pan on his. Johnny-ASEed-image~2.jpg

(The Great Outdoors)

Northern Dancer

That's funny Roybrew. I've made them several times and taught the same. I don't put in a side can I just leave it open - much faster to construct. That way you can pack them easier and the good thing is you can dispose of them at the end of the trip. Twigs right off the ground will keep it fed and the flame is usually good.

If you make a can stove you just have to make one out of a coke can too. I use 99% "rubbing" alcohol for fuel. In this neck of the woods, you can only get 99% by asking the pharmacist for the same. It's not sold on the shelf. It has to be done well for it to work properly. I guess that is why I tend to use the tin can. I also like the can because it is bigger and can manage a pot better. I use the standard large apple/tomato juice can.

Cappy

can stoves I was lucky I had an aunt who was a cafeteria lady at school. She would save me the big bean cans and I would use them to make stoves with a smaller one for the fire box. hung from a wire that fit on a shoulder strap wore outside my pack a wonderful camp stove sturdy and large enough for my little black iron stew pot. sued those for years. The big square meat cans were great for catfish traps but that is a story for a different thread I think. :beer3:

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
I experimented with them Twig stoves), trying to get away from carrying fuel, briefly when I was still backpacking (before the knees gave out); they worked OK.

Enjoy!

Northern Dancer

Hi "Joe", nice to see you online; I hope everything is going well in your camp. For me, for the most part, homemade stoves are a fun project for a dull day - it helps keep my enthusiasm up and my interest high. The commercial people have jumped on the wagon and have come up with all kinds of interesting designs and such all for a small fee. :Smile2:

3726 3727 3728 3729 But, doing your own "can" can be a fun project. 3730

Roybrew

Yep I've also got a Red Mad chewing tobacco tin. I'm planning on trying it out this weekendIMG_20221116_182910040_HDR.jpg

(The Great Outdoors)

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Hi "Joe", nice to see you online; I hope everything is going well in your camp. For me, for the most part, homemade stoves are a fun project for a dull day - it helps keep my enthusiasm up and my interest high. The commercial people have jumped on the wagon and have come up with all kinds of interesting designs and such all for a small fee. :Smile2:

View attachment 3726 View attachment 3727 View attachment 3728 View attachment 3729 But, doing your own "can" can be a fun project. View attachment 3730
Every thing is going well, thanx!

As far as small stoves, I, too, made a few .. mostly when I was backpacking.
...most recently (since I turned to vehicle camping) I decided to try using an induction hob.. I works, but needs a substantial battery bank and inverter.

Enjoy!

Roybrew

Yep another project I'm pushing off to the way side. I've got to quit doing that.

Hey Joe,maybe you can answer a question for me? How hard is it on a vehicle, or deep cycle battery, to run an inverter to, let's say for example, to run a small 110volt house hold coffee maker? I've never taken the time to study up on it. I know that some vehicles come equipped with and inverter.

The Great Outdoors

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Yep another project I'm pushing off to the way side. I've got to quit doing that.

Hey Joe,maybe you can answer a question for me? How hard is it on a vehicle, or deep cycle battery, to run an inverter to, let's say for example, to run a small 110volt house hold coffee maker? I've never taken the time to study up on it. I know that some vehicles come equipped with and inverter.

The Great Outdoors
Lead acid batteries are more sensitive to excessive discharge (some sources say damage can occur to the battery if discharged below 50%).
Try to never run one flat and do not leave a lead acid battery partially charged for very long (can result in a chemical reaction called sulfation (lead sulfate crystal growth) that reduces the capacity of the battery and can actually kill one over time.

I just checked and my ancient Mr coffee drip machine is rated at (consumes) 500 watts so a tiny inverter will probably not work for long, although a 700 watt inverter would probably be happy powering it.

500 watts at 120 volts translates to (very) roughly 4.2 amps. (500 divided by 120)
Ignoring conversion efficiencies this gives an rough, estimated, draw from a 12 volt battery of around 42 amps meaning that a 100 amp hour battery could be expected to run it for roughly 2 hours (maybe 3 pots of coffee). Other coffee makers may give longer or shorter run times depending on their current draw.

Coleman used to make a drip coffee maker for their 2 burner camp stoves that worked fairly well and I would seriously look for one before trying to use an inverter to make coffee.
I just checked and these have become relatively spendy at $106
coleman coffee maker...
...Think that I will stick to the old percolator... it still works albeit slowly; works over a camp fire or nearly any stove that is big enough to carry the weight..

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Yet, the question has been explored a number of times...

Personally, I tend to use a percolator when camping, although I have tried the teabag style coffee bags(?).
Just my opinion; but drip coffee tastes better to me. For me, its a bit much to go though the inverter/generator (and breakable, coffee maker packing) hassle to get it while camping... If some one want to deal with it, its up to them.

I haven't tried the single cup drip accessories, presses, etc. available on the market; the percolator is sufficient, for me... some folks don't particularly care for the wait, smell and taste though. (I brew & prefer a medium strength of caffeinated elixir).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cappy

for me ya aint camping les there is a ole percolator around. Been a constant companion even during my back packing days. I actually mourned the passing of my ole blue granite pot. I did not have the heart to just throw it away so now it serves as a flower pot for a fake flower arrangement on our patio.