Vintage Kelty Pack

ppine

Forester
It tugs at my heart to see the old packs for sale on places like eBay. I just lost one in the last 2 seconds yesterday, but have another one up today. Those old Keltys are like old friends to old backpackers. They make a certain statement going down the trail, and I can't wait to get one. It is tempting to put together an old timey outfit with a Svea or Optimus stove, etc. Modern stuff is somewhat lighter, but not always as dependable. Does anyone else use old backpacking equipment for old times sake? I am surprised the amount of emotion in the good old faded stuff like a packframe. It is definitely part of the mystique of the outdoors and worth celebrating.

Johnny

Every generation has its gear, that's for sure. Try explaining how external frame packs are good to freshly hatched backpackers. They definitely caved in to the elitism of the manufacturing companies.

ponderosa

My dad uses an old kelty & sometimes a svea, although the whisperlight is usually the stove he takes these days. That svea is cool, but a little tempermental for my taste.

Hikenhunter

Just bought my9 year old grandson a Kelty 2000 jr. today at a flea market for 10.00. The pack is like new and he can't wait to use it. I'm still using a Camp Trails Gray Wolf internal frame pack and my trusty Camp Trails Omega. Both packs are about25 years old and have been beat up pretty bad but they just keep on working with out fail.

CozInCowtown

Even though I am not much of a backpacker compared to many here I do love and enjoy vintage equipment, camping and otherwise.
I collect old Coleman lanterns, campstoves and lamps, they are so much better than modern prophane equipment. No plastic and thin stamped metal parts either.
I find alot of enjoyment setting in camp lit by a 90 year old gas lantern I restored.
I can definately appreciate someone enjoying a vintage backpack!
DC

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Coz,
I used to have a Coleman lantern that I got used in 1970. It worked fine but flared up a lot upon first being lit. I gave it to a friend and bought a new lantern. It never worked right. I sent it to Coleman with a note "fix it for free or keep it." They claimed they fixed it but it has never worked right.

When I was a kid we had Grandpa's canvas Baker tent and Coleman stove from 1920 that he bought after WW I. The tent was rotten and the stove was completely black from use, but we used that old stuff for years.

Part of the appeal of the outdoors for me is the kinship with the past and my relatives. Old equipment brings out those connections.

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

Cant say that I am into vintage equipment. Like my newer and lighter gear. Honestly can't say that I really feel any of the new stuff is less reliable than the older gear. However that being said I am really not nostalgic about anything. Don't listen to the music that was out when I was in high school, not into old clothing, or anythings else. Might be since I was a child of the 80s most the music, and clothing styles were pretty bad when I think about it.

wvbreamfisherman

My Coleman 2-burnber stove and lantern are at least 45 years old. I don't remember exactly when Mom and dad got them, but I was just a kid. Both still work as well as the day they got them. I think I replaced the generator on the stove once.

Dead solid reliable, parts available anyplace, fuel readily available (you can burn gasoline in them, but its tough on the generator and can gum valves and orifices up Damned ethanol!), what's not to love.

CozInCowtown

My Coleman 2-burner stove and lantern are at least 45 years old. I don't remember exactly when Mom and dad got them, but I was just a kid. Both still work as well as the day they got them. I think I replaced the generator on the stove once.

Dead solid reliable, parts available anyplace, fuel readily available (you can burn gasoline in them, but its tough on the generator and can gum valves and orifices up Damned ethanol!), what's not to love.
On the stove, look at the bottom side of the tabs that are used to hang the fount (fuel tank) on the stove for the born on date. Should look like: 8-70 or 8/70. This is August 1970 manufacture date for example.

On the lantern look closely at the bottom of the fount (fuel tank). On the left and right of the Coleman patent info there will be a digit on both sides. Again it will probably be something like 8 on the left and a 70 on the right of the Coleman pattent information (August 1970 this example) generally towards the bottom line of text.

If it is old enough it may have just single digits like 8 on the left and 9 on the right. This will be "backerds" of the above date information as far as month and year. 8 and 9 would be September 1938 or possibly 1948 depending on model.

If the lantern is even older than that, 1920s, the date will be on the front of the fount (fuel tank) below the Coleman "Sunshine" roll stamp. Again, year on left, month on right.

If this is too confuseing, I am confused allready, let me know and I will snap some pics from my collection.
Hope this helps, gotta love that old Coleman gear!!
DC

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
I just bought a large 1970 vintage Kelty mountaineer with a frame extension on eBay for $26. I looks to be in great shape with a padded waist belt and a red bag. I can't remember the last time I got such a lift out of buying something for that amount of money. My wish is that some of you will understand this concept of vintage equipment and the memories is conjures up as you age and look back on your outdoor careers. When I was 30 I wanted the latest and greatest, but now the old stuff is much more important.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
I think Kelty still makes the same basic external frame pack they made 20 years ago.
It's about 70 dollars I think.
One of the guys in our hiking club carries one. He uses the reason "Heavy never fails."

ppine

Forester
The new kelty packs are around $130. They have some embellishments, but only come in a dorky rust red and grey 2-tone pattern. They weigh more than the old ones.

tmtimestwo

I am in need of assistance, I have a Camptrails Omega that I disassembled to wash and than stored, I am currently trying to reassemble it, however I cannot for the life of me figure out the waist belt or this extra strap that I have if anyone could possibly take pictures of theres from the frame side showing the different straps and pin mount locations it would be a huge help I emailed Eureka who bought the last company out and they told me thay did not have any data left for that pack and couldn't help me, Great pack had it for 15 years and would really like to be able to use it again. Thanks. My email is tmtimestwo@comcast.net or travis.miessner@navy.mil.

CozInCowtown

I am in need of assistance, I have a Camptrails Omega that I disassembled to wash and than stored, I am currently trying to reassemble it, however I cannot for the life of me figure out the waist belt or this extra strap that I have if anyone could possibly take pictures of theres from the frame side showing the different straps and pin mount locations it would be a huge help I emailed Eureka who bought the last company out and they told me thay did not have any data left for that pack and couldn't help me, Great pack had it for 15 years and would really like to be able to use it again. Thanks. My email is tmtimestwo@comcast.net or travis.miessner@navy.mil.
bump .

ppine

Forester
Indiana,
If you think the music of the 1980s was bad, maybe you were just too young to listen to the good stuff. There has been great music in every decade for the last 100 years if you know where to look.

IndianaHiker

Music so very subjective and rightfully so. When I think of different decades I thing of the different styles that come and go. Funk, Disco,the 80s Hairbands etc. Never been a fan of those genres. However will say that most of the stuff I like many others wont. I am 44 must of my friends still listen to the hair band stuff that was popular when we were in high school. Other still listen to the Duran Duran and the more pop songs of that 80's area. Just doesn't appeal to me for the most part.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Indiana,
If you think the music of the 1980s was bad, maybe you were just too young to listen to the good stuff. There has been great music in every decade for the last 100 years if you know where to look.
Not to get too far off topic, well maybe I am, but I thought the 80's was a rich time for music. Joy Division's classic, "Closer" was released at the beginning of the decade. Outstanding and still influential artists like REM, Echo and the Bunnymen, Husker Du, The Replacements, U2, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Chili Peppers, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Stone Roses and The Cure got their starts and some artists who got their start in the 70's like Talking Heads, The Clash, The Stranglers, and The Jam were at their creative peaks.

I think that next to the 60's, the 80's were the 2nd most important decade as far as influencing what was to come in rock music.

Back on topic, I have no nostalgia for older equipment. Newer packs fit far better than those old Kelty frame packs that had very few adjustments. Other equipment like stoves and lanterns are (for the most part) lighter and not as balky. I've given away a lot of older gear as I replaced it with newer stuff and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Last edited: