Water Canteens And Botles

Gondor

I was wondering how do you store your water when you're on the move? I know that many people are using fancy bottles made from all kinds of materials but what about those old-styled canteens, like the ones used by military. Does any of you use them?

Barney

I use classic plastic GI water canteen and a cup that can actually be used as a stove also. All this goes into a canteen carrier.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I use a few different things. I have an old plastic canteen left over from Scouting days that I still use for short hikes or day trips. It is not really efficient as far as space goes, the water tastes like plastic, and it won't stay cold on a hot day, but I like it for the cool factor and I keep using it. Pretty darn tough canteen and cover. It needs a new O' Ring in the lid though. I noticed the other day it is starting to leak. Not bad for a 20 year old canteen.

I also like to pack a 1 liter stainless bottle as a backup as I can boil water right in it if needed.

The other thing I sometimes use is a Camelback bladder with a drinking hose attached. It fits in my pack nicely and the tube can be run out through a special hole designed for it.

calanta

Anything I can get my hands on but sometimes it does depend on where we are going. On long trips when we know we will not be reaching camp anytime soon, we all have single bottles for personal use and then someone gets the short straw that gets to carry the large container. :)

Bradsalex

Most of the time I put 4-5 water bottles/sports squirt bottles in my pack and we refill our water bottles that we carry with those. If I don't have my pack when I'm carrying my 2 year old I will usually have a Camelbak system.

jnagel32

I use two Nalgene bottles for my drinking water and I have two different sizes of Platypus water resevoirs for cooking water. I have a larger one for a party of two or more and a smaller one if I'm flyin solo...

Hammster

My wife and I are primarily day hikers so we tend to use our Camelbaks. If the hike is long enough we will fill a couple of water bottles also to ensure we have enough water. The daypacks tend to start out heavy due to the water amount, but they get lighter as we drink the water so that's a good thing. We rarely have any water left at the end of the hike.

Pumpy

Oh man. I have two great old canteens in the basement. They are in near perfect shape too. I bought them earlier this year and planned to save them as Christmas gifts to my kids. I totally forgot!

OB-1

my experience with the water bladders is that plastic taste, which kinda put me off. For most of my day hikes I'll either fill my metal bottles with the caribiners or just throw a few aquafinas in my backpack. i would like something more task specific, but really havent found anything i'm in love with.

IndianaHiker

I use water bladders. On my trip at the end of this week I will be using 2 1.5 liters bladders and 2 1 litter bottles. I always have on bottle that I use to for drink mixes as I like to bring powdered Gator Aid or something close to it.

oldsarge

I use several different types of containers myself. I like my old military issue canteens with cups, even have a sleeve that fits over the canteen cup to keep it off the ground and allow you to build a fire under it. I also picked up a couple of Swiss Ranger stoves from a company called "Cheaper than Dirt". Nice for cooking small individual portions. During the summer months I like the camel back but when it's cold out I prefer to use a couple of one liter stainless steel bottles that slip inside the Ranger stoves. I also like the collapsible 2QT canteens or 5QT bladders from the surplus store. There are so many options out there!

Chippin

I'm the cheapest when it comes to carrying water around on hikes. I just buy some bottled water from a convenience store, chill them so they are nice and cold before it's time to hike, and just carry one or two with me at a time. I do like those military canteens. My dad had one that was really nice, but I've never really used one before. I also don't like the empty water bottles you can buy from stores because of that nasty plastic taste.

oldsarge

Back in the day long before Camel Backs, we would freeze a partially filled 5QT bladder, maybe a third of it, then fill the rest with water, insert an IV tube and roll it closed, wrap it in our poncho liners and stuff it in out rucks. We used the device to control the drip to open and close the tube. We had really cold water throughout most of the day as we hiked the jungle.

Grandpa

My primary canteen is a one litre nalgene in a belt carrier. I also carry 3 empty 1 litre pop bottles for filling upon arrival at the night camp. One of those may be used if I anticipate a long dry stretch of trail. For desert hiking I add a 1/2 gallon plastic empty/full juice bottle, depending on the need. For me, I found I can monitor water intake better with the bottles than I can with a bladder. Most of my hiking pards do use a bladder but I am too lazy to carry all that extra weight. I only use the pop and juice bottles for one trip, then discard them. I have never had one leak.

hikinmike

I take a liter or so, available for the walk. Anymore, always carry some kind of filter, usually the Coleman model. Have two ancient canvass water bags that still work..."cools by evaporation". Fill them and replenish as needed at camp. No longer confident to just dip a cup in some stream or spring.

Michael

If it's a longish hike, I'll take my 3L Camelbak hydration pack. If it's hot, it gets a bunch of ice before the water goes it. Not only is the drinking water cool, but it's cool against my back.

My most common water bottle is a re-used 1L bottle that originally came with Smartwater in it. It's in great condition, was basically free, and weighs less than my other containers.

Sometimes I'll use a 1L Nalgene bottle. It sees less use than it used to.