What can I bring while camping?

Becky

My boyfriend and I decided it was a great idea to go to camping in mid-February. We thought we would forget some small things and really regret it there. Here are some of the things we've already discussed about. Extra warm clothes, fire wood, sandwich-making products are a cool, with our shower staff. He has been camping before, but I do not, and I'd be prepared freakishly. I will decide the voter who is the most helpful!

MacGyver

Odd that you're posting about a February trip at the end of March, but wool blankets are a godsend in cold weather. If you don't want to drop big bucks on name brands like Pendleton, Woolrich or Creswick, Army surplus wool blankets are relatively cheap. They're "itchier" than the name brands, but if they're used as an additional layer to whatever bedding you're already using, the itch factor doesn't matter.

ppine

Forester
Two sleeping bags apiece, a tucked in campsite out of the wind with plenty of fire wood and an evacuation plan.

Northern Dancer

What to bring?

For me it depends on 1) where I'm going, 2) what do I plan to do, 3) who I'm I going with, 4) what are the conditions, 5) how long do I plan to stay, 6) what season of the year is it? With that being organized I use a comprehensive inventory to check off the equipment I will need to enjoy myself. A food list is separate and will depend on the same factors mentioned above. The more you camp the more experience you will gain. You will quickly learn what you like and don't like and how to manage the same.

The chief goal, for the most part, is to have fun and enjoy the great outdoors.

ppine

Forester
I don't usually make a list.
Death Valley is up next. We sleep on cots above the rocks and reptiles, No tent so we can see the stars.
Simple food mostly cold, except for hot coffee and oatmeal in the morning.
The simplest form of camping.

Northern Dancer

Welcome to Outdoor Basecamp. I think you will need more than a chair. :D But you are off to a good start. A few years back I purchased a chair that had a back in it. Really great for the end of the day.

ppine

Forester
In cold weather you need some insulation for your chair. Bring a lot of lights. There is plenty of darkness. I like cheap solar yard lights around the campsite. A good insulating mattress to insulate from the ground. Pads for your pets to sleep on. Hearty food with some fat in it. Salad and yogurt do not cut it in the cold. Wear a hat at night especially.

Northern Dancer

In cold weather you need some insulation for your chair. Bring a lot of lights. There is plenty of darkness. I like cheap solar yard lights around the campsite. A good insulating mattress to insulate from the ground. Pads for your pets to sleep on. Hearty food with some fat in it. Salad and yogurt do not cut it in the cold. Wear a hat at night especially.
-----> A man of experience.