What Do You Think?

Boboque

I was thinking of the general state of things in the world the other day, and I was thinking of the inability of a majority of our young people to survive outside of the "civilized" world. I have tried to teach our grandchildren again and again, the art of survival outside of town and outside of prepared food and established housing to no avail. The sad thing is, I am not alone and the majority of their friends are in the same boat. They could not survive comfortably unless someone who was knowledgeable about survival helped them.

Have you had success teaching your children or grandchildren about survival?

Grandpa

For the most part, yes. My older grandsons could all do well in the wilderness with no preparations. The younger ones are getting there. The granddaughters are so so. One older and one younger could do fine on their own but the others........ehhhhh good luck.

About the time they are learning well, too many interferrences come along. My clan are all very sports minded, especially baseball and softball so that is competition for learning wilderness skills. Grandma is sitting through or running back and forth between 4 ball games today, while I'm packing for a long walk in the morning.

Greatoutdoors

My kids are still very young, but we are trying to teach them skills that are age appropriate. We will continue to do so as they get older and we spend a good bit of time in the outdoors. Unfortunately, we didn't have anyone to teach us these skills so we are learning on our own through a LOT of trial and error.

CozInCowtown

Survival, er, not exactly.
Skills that would help her survive? Definately.
She is a good whitetail and bird hunter, excellent shot with her .22 pistol and quite the fine horseman.
Kid has been camping all her life, a good fisherman and has proven it is possible to burn water.
She would have about a good a fighting chance as anybody I hope.
DC

Lorax

I've taught my son pretty well. He's in the USMC and during field training, he has used what he's been taught to build better shelters and fare a little better than most during harsh weather and adjusting/dealing with his issued gear. His improvisational skills are better than most because of his outdoor self reliance he's been taught.

Boboque

Sounds like you all have had much more success than I have. I wish that my children and grandchildren would have gone with me on an adventure or two so I could have taught them skills they would need. But, alas, they didn't, instead choosing to stay with friends or go to movies. It really worries me that they wouldn't be able to survive if civilization as we know it were to collapse.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

As Coz said, "not exactly 'survival' skills"...and not taught by me.

At 22, she has taken deer by rifle, black powder, and I think bow. She can gut, clean, skin and cut up a deer. She is also a good fisher, and is familiar with black bear habits, as she lived (in college now for a few more months yet) in the center of black bear country.

She is also a skilled equestrian, and can also care for smaller livestock.

She got her hunting and fishing skills from her dad.

Her farm animal skills she got from working with them on farms.

oldsarge

Tried to share as much as possible with my son. He's older now and has other interest. My wife & daughter have no interest in anything I'm interested. It concerns me and I worry that they will never be in a situation where the will have to fend for themselves.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Tried to share as much as possible with my son. He's older now and has other interest. My wife & daughter have no interest in anything I'm interested. It concerns me and I worry that they will never be in a situation where the will have to fend for themselves.
Looks like your wife picked the right guy huh, Sarge?

Marshmallow

Our grandchildren are a little more accustomed to the outdoors than even I am. Their mother loves animals. Their father hunts, fishes and gardens. If I had my choice, most of the time we would end up in an air-conditioned hotel room, although I do enjoy camping for short runs.

Boboque

We all make mistakes.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

My wife is better at survival skills than I am. She has a keener eye when shooting than I do. She can hit a squirrel in the eye when I can't even see the squirrel. She has also been practicing with a bow and is doing pretty well. She wants to get in on the deer bow season this year.

oldsarge

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

My wife is better at survival skills than I am. She has a keener eye when shooting than I do. She can hit a squirrel in the eye when I can't even see the squirrel. She has also been practicing with a bow and is doing pretty well. She wants to get in on the deer bow season this year.
You're a lucky man!

ppine

Forester
Most kids today have little interest in the outdoors, and it is an uphill battle to get them out there. Kudos to anyone that has been successful in teaching the skills for survival. Most adults would have trouble out there for more than about 3 days. Nature is not very forgiving except in late summer. Most people over-rate their survival abilities by a lot. Practice and awareness go a long way towards learning survival skills.

Cappy

When me and Peg reached the point we figured it was time to give up tent camping and move up to a pop up camper we passed our ole 10x10 dome tent to our daughter. She uses it often and every time she does it warms my heart. They have it in the trunk now heading up into the mountains of Kentucky for the weekend. That makes an ole Cappy happy.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Cappy

Ma wife Peggy loves camping as much as I do. She is a better shot with her 22 than I am and she is one of those fire pokers. They are handy to have around to tend the camp fire. She also has the amazing ability to catch fish that continue to grow long after they been caught cleaned and ate.:tinysmile_tongue_t::fish2:

Hikenhunter

Did as much for my boys as I could. My youngest has the knowledge needed to survive in a survival situation. He was very interested in learning these things and he has done well. My oldest could get by for a short spell but I don't know if he would last very long. They are adults and for the most part I believe I have done all I can for them. Now I have turned my focus onto my grandchildren. As of right now they are still too young to get by without help but I have captured thier interest in the great outdoors and in outdoor pursuits and I see promise for them as long as I can hold thier attention.

Pathfinder1

Cappy;
Ma wife Peggy loves camping as much as I do. She is a better shot with her 22 than I am and she is one of those fire pokers. They are handy to have around to tend the camp fire. She also has the amazing ability to catch fish that continue to grow long after they been caught cleaned and ate.

Hi...

Cappy, yer just too much...!! :tinysmile_twink_t:

CampfireCowboy

Avid Outdoorsman
Every child I have was trained in ways not so popular in todays world. Not only are they prepared but it makes for great character building as well as discipline. Its a shame more people dont think like us. Values are really out of whack it seems.