what is a priority when you choose a campsite?

derangedboar

First I look for location near a water source if at all possible. Then I look for an appealing location, relatively flat and not too rocky, with room for the tent. A nice view is always a plus. Then I check for overhead branches or leaning dead or dying trees that might come down on the site in a wind.

Grandpa

First I look for location near a water source if at all possible. Then I look for an appealing location, relatively flat and not too rocky, with room for the tent. A nice view is always a plus. Then I check for overhead branches or leaning dead or dying trees that might come down on the site in a wind.
What he said.

Northern Dancer

...when I'm tripping I prefer safe sites, good beach if possible; though deep water is fine. I look for places that are off the tourist route. That is to say, all the campsites that the weekenders go after. I want a little more distance and quiet from the mainstream.

SOMETHING LIKE THIS... [2017 Upper Red Pine Lake]

Cappy

Down here in the soggy south high dry and flat well drained is the first concern and a must. next comes location view water etc but the first is the deal breaker. It may be beautiful water front flat with a blanket of pine needles but it aint no good if ya wake up in a couple inches of water.

Northern Dancer

...right you are Cappy - no matter how many times we take a trip there is always a safety/first aid officer appointed and his word along with the trip leader is law. As derangedboar says, "You have to check the trees and branches."

ppine

Forester
I like level, windbreak, morning sun, and a view. Drainage is worth considering in wetter country. I am willing to walk to water if I can camp someplace no one has camped before.

Standing dead trees and branches are very important to consider. Never camp under them. In the mountains winds can show up any time. Year before last we set up camp and them moved due to some large dead branches. One morning during the trip and a whole tree came down within a half mile of camp. It shook the ground.