What Is Bushcraft?

Stargazer

I have never heard of bushcraft before. What exactly is it? What makes bushcraft different from other forms of camping? Is it just another name for survivalist camping?

ppine

Forester
Bushcraft eludes to the origins of modern camping. Using an axe and ingenuity to be comfortable living outdoors. It traditionally is big on shelter, beds, furniture, hunting, fishing and especially cooking outdoors.

Pathfinder1

Bushcraft eludes to the origins of modern camping. Using an axe and ingenuity to be comfortable living outdoors. It traditionally is big on shelter, beds, furniture, hunting, fishing and especially cooking outdoors.

Hi...

Good reply, ppine.

For additional info one might want to google 'Nessmuk'. He was good example of bushcraft in the Adirondaks in the late 1800s.

ppine

Forester
Besides Nessmuk, Horace Kephart, John Muir, Thoreau,, Calvin Rustrum, Bradford Angier, James Beard, Col Townsend Whelen and many others. James Law Olmstead.

In forestry school we spent some time examining the origins of the conservation movement and the evolution of forestry. It is a fascinating story that Americans should be proud of. In my grandfather's day we still had commercial market hunting and no game laws.

Last edited:

Stargazer

So bushcrafting is true primitive camping, living off the land like our ancestors did. Does that sound right? I've always wanted to try something like that but never have ventured quite that far.

ppine

Forester
Bushcraft doesn't necessarily require "living off the land." That is pretty difficult. It does typically involve some hunting or fishing in season.

offtrail

Bushcraft is just that Craft that you do in the bush, mostly primitive or a combination of both primitive and modern. Making fire, cordage, stone or bone tools, weaving mats or baskets, deadfalls and snares, shelters to name a few. One bushcraft skill that a lot of people overlook is making cordage. This skill should be learned by all who venture into the outdoors.

FootPathOne

Let's NOT forget about good ole Daniel Boone. Read his biography to get a small glimpse into his skills and experiences. Afterwards, and to understand bushcraft from another perspective, read about the Lewis and Clark Expedition - totally amazing.

lambdahammock

This is a great explanation, it's new for me and this helped me get a good idea of it

Terasec

think it means different things to different people
to me it means making the most of the natural materials around you
I take bushcraft meaning from Australian term for going out in the bush with minimal of supplies and making use of whats in the bush.
I like practicing some elements of bushcraft, but at the same time I don't like to go cold or hungry either,

Terasec

Let's NOT forget about good ole Daniel Boone. Read his biography to get a small glimpse into his skills and experiences. Afterwards, and to understand bushcraft from another perspective, read about the Lewis and Clark Expedition - totally amazing.
problem with using such expeditions, is many such expeditions had loads of people and supplies, they often had people hired to carry/transport their supplies, set up camp, cook their meals. while primitive by our standards most were well funded and supplied,