What Is The Best Way To Scare A Bear?

thymas

Does Bear Spray work? I've seen it in an outdoor products store. I couldn't figure out if it was a joke or not.

Lamebeaver

Bear spray is the prefered method of protection in case of a bear attack. A lot of people think a large caliber handgun would be better....they're wrong.

Morgan

Hold the bears hand and lead it to the woods like a little child. This will surely do it! :)

I would agree with the bear spray but I'm wondering why a big gun won't scare a bear away?

oldsarge

There is another thread that discusses the pros and con of handguns to bear spray. Basically it all comes down to what you've trained and are proficient with. No weapon is goin to do the job if you don't know what you're doing. I would like to use the spray, knowing that I have larger coverage, just need to be aware of the prevailing winds. Also you need to practice getting the spray out and deployed under the presure of possibly being attacked. I know a gun would definitely do the job but it's a more precise weapon and you really need to have skills to use it effectively under pressure. It's all about the training!

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Call the Rangers and let them know about the troublesome bear. They might be able to do something about it, or at least monitor it.

Loud noises and dogs will SOMETIMES scare a bear...but be careful...this bear is used to human habitat, and could attack. More deaths and manglings are attributed to black bears than to grizzlys...!!

Pathfinder1

Sometimes I don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Regarding bear spray...yes, it can work but you have no gaurantee. You have to learn to use it. This means putting yourself in close proximity to the bear. Bears can charge very rapidly...!!

Bear spray should be of a type that is EPA registered, which means that it has met certain standards.

CozInCowtown

Bear spray is the prefered method of protection in case of a bear attack. A lot of people think a large caliber handgun would be better....they're wrong.
Sounds like good advice to me but.....

The Ohio State Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and golfers to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while hiking.

They advise people to wear noise producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Black Cats (firecrackers). Next paint ball gun. Next Wildlife folks. Basically you want to make the bear hate being near your home.

SweetSassyLady

Hmmmm, I have left over firecrackers, and my son has a paint ball gun. I may have to resort to those. I know we are in the bear's territory but, given his/her apparent age, we've been here a lot longer than he/she has. So there, Bear. :p

candycane

Well I can tell you from experience that throwing gourds left over from fall decorating at a bear WILL NOT scare off a bear! I admit, it wasn't one of my brighter moments.... :)

ppine

Forester
Bears are fun and games as long as they are in someone else's yard. A large pack of aggressive dogs, some firecrackers, and rubber bullets are what the Dept of wildlife uses around here. Yelling to associate humans with the ruckus is encouraged. It is best to have someone with live rounds in a rifle or shotgun on hand just in case as the designated shooter.