What is this knife?

carmen

I was just watching one of those shows about auctions and the people who buy storage units to flip the contents. One guy found a pocket knife that had over 100 pieces to it, like taking about 20 knives and stacking one atop the other. What type of knife is this I am thinking it might be a good gift for my husband.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have one that has twenty four tools on it. Someone bought it for me years ago. I carry it in my camping kit and do use it sometimes but it it's too heavy to EDC. I mean how many times do you need a pair of scissors or a magnifying glass? And if you put it into your pocket, you list to one side.

woodsman

Wenger 16999 Swiss Army Knife Giant.
It's a nice piece to own if you are a collector, but for 1.6k $ it's a bit on the pricey side and pretty much useless. If he's a knife nut, and you have money to waste, just buy him a Strider or a Sebenza and his eyes will light up as if he saw diamonds.

Cappy

Ya know, I've actually given this some thought and I figure the reason I don't have a multi function knife tool thing is the same reason I dont have a smart phone. I want my phone to be a phone I want it to ring like a bell and I say hello" I dont want it to be a gaming, music storage internet surfing, etc device. I want it to be a phone. I kinda feel the same way about a knife. Maybe I should change my screen name to: "DINOSAUR TOO"

ChadTower

I have one that has twenty four tools on it. Someone bought it for me years ago. I carry it in my camping kit and do use it sometimes but it it's too heavy to EDC. I mean how many times do you need a pair of scissors or a magnifying glass? And if you put it into your pocket, you list to one side.

A small magnifying lens is one of the required elements in my hiking pack. If you have kids with you they go crazy inspecting everything around them up close. And it's a great firestarter, obviously, during the day.

carmen

That looks very close to what they showed but I am not sure if that was the name. From what I remember the guy said a few different companies made them. I doubt it is all that practical either but when the husband still gets a glimmer in his eye for something shiny what is a good wife to do? :)

EmberMike

The big Swiss tool was probably more of a sales tool than a knife designed for practical use. I've heard the joke that in an ice emergency, you could strap it to your boot as an improvised crampon. :)

beemerphill

The big SAKs are fun to show to people, but are not real handy. About the largest practical size would be the Swiss Champ. Even that one is better carried in a sheath. It would be a nice addition to your backpack/possibles bag.

victorinox swiss champ | eBay

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ChadTower

I've never had a knife of that type. How does that compare, in practical bush use terms, with a good Leatherman style multitool?

When out in the bush I rarely find something I need a tool for that isn't covered by the knife, V notch cutter, rough toothed saw, or pliers. The big pliers on the multitool are probably the most useful thing I carry.

Sometimes I wonder if the tool really is the right tool for my situations or if I have adapted my thinking so that every solution fits the tool I am used to having.

oldsarge

I've never had a knife of that type. How does that compare, in practical bush use terms, with a good Leatherman style multitool?
I purchased my Swiss Champ a long long time ago. It's served me well but like most knife enthusiast I need to have a new toy. I have Multi tools also. I think the Swiss knife has more stuff on it, but the Multi tool is a bit more practical. Pliers are bigger and stronger and most of what's on there I find useful. If you find Multi tools work for you, stick with it!

oldsarge

Sometimes I wonder if the tool really is the right tool for my situations or if I have adapted my thinking so that every solution fits the tool I am used to having.
Not bad way of thinking. Adapt and overcome!

Newanderthal

I've used my Leatherman Skeletool for way more than I ever used a Swiss Army Knife for... and after 4 years the Skeletool is still in one piece, which is more than I can say for all those red pocket knives I once owned.

Buy him a good multi-tool. Check out Leatherman and Gerber.

Also, if it has a corkscrew, leave it. How often does your survival depend on capturing and opening a wild wine bottle?

carmen

I don't drink wine much so the cork would not be a big issue. I have tons of experience with Leatherman so that route I know I can take. I had thought it would just be a nice gift since he tends to love anything as I have called for years, "stabby". The man is addicted to anything shiny that can cut.