What lighting do you use for camping?

Roybrew

Most times I only use the little head lamp. My wife bought me one of those crank up latterns. It works great and I use it in the tent. Hang it up and when it runs down no big deal cause I'll be asleep by then.

ppine

Forester
I like the Luci solar lights. I brought 2 of them last week on a bping trip but neither worked very well. I got them charged up and they worked much better. The switches are kind of cheap, but they weigh nothing and are good to have when there is no fire. Always bring a headlamp.

ppine

Forester
In the summer when you can't build a fire in a lot of places because it is too dry, the Luci lights up the camp just enough so people can see.

The rest of the time I like a fire. In the winter when there is all of that darkness I really like a fire. I have one of those portable sun shades with a frame. I often don't use the over head shade, but often use some white canvas hung vertically near the fire. It reflects a lot of light, breaks the wind and reflects some heat. Some cheap solar lights around camp are great for 14 hour nights.

The one thing about headlamps that is very irritating is when people are wearing one that is on and they walk up to you and shine it right in your eyes. Don't do it please.

Cappy

You are very right about te headlight in the eyes thing. We use our head lights alot both camping an around the house. It takes practice and concentration not to shine em in eyes. It's natural to look at some one when ya talk to em and te light goes where ya look. We try to click them off when talking to each other but its tough to remember all the time. Takes alot of effort not to accidentally look at some one but they are very handy

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
In the tent I use a hanging globe fixture, and sometimes in the larger tent, a floor lamp with 450 or 500 lumen, 120 VAC, LED, bulbs , powered by an inverter on a 35 amp hour deep discharge battery... If its good enough for home reading use, its good enough for the tent, IMO.

Normally I have a pair of solar garden lights at the tent entrance (makes it easier to find, in the dark, after a few adult beverages).

For an emergency; fumble in the dark, light next to the cot; a modified 2 AA LED tap light sits on the end table - just hit it.

In my pocket (everyday) is a single AAA Dorcy led pocket flash (no longer made).

I really have tried to like headlamps but don't/can't seem to.

I find that trying to brightly light the campsite, pretty much, detracts from the ambiance/camping experience.... the light from a campfire is usually plenty; until its time to extinguish it after everyone else has crashed.

Enjoy!

MacGyver

Finally found the pictures of what my friends call "The Telephone Pole".
Here's the fixture, with four 6-watt LEDs, that I put at the top of an extension paint pole clamped to the table.

It gives me a nice soft light at night (with no bugs hanging around at face level)

ppine

Forester
I only pull out the old propane of white gas lanterns for tasks like skinning a deer. I use it sometimes for winter parties when we serve dinner in the dark around the fire. The rest of the time it is too bright.

Arla

Normally I use an LL. Bean flashlight that doubles as a lantern. There is also this thing called Gravity Light, I've never used it but, it might be cool if you hang it in a tent. (however it might be heavy for backpacking)

MacGyver

Being the gadget freak that I am, I've been sort of following the history of that Gravity Light since I first saw it on IndieGoGo a few years back. The reviews, even a good bit of the positive ones, mention some of their impracticality. Light only lasts 20 minutes, have to hang from high heights (that leaves out a tent, for sure) and they're bulky. The more negative reviews add that the light is dim and that the cost is over the top compared to other options like solar charged lights. As was also mentioned in a lot of reviews, both good and bad, it might be a solution for Third World countries to replace kerosene lamps (the manufacturer's original intent), but in developed countries, there are definitely better options.