What would you prefer in camping, natural way, or with portable generator?

Roybrew

I have no knowledge of inverters and things like that. They have been improved greatly over the years. I would love to have a small and quiet generator, but it wouldn't get used enough. I usually pack a couple of small power supply things for my phone. I need to learn more about inverters, generators and stuff like that.

Northern Dancer

...I stay will solar now - there have been a lot of great improvements in the technology. I'm all for quiet too. Having said that, it really depends on your personal wants and needs. The few people who manage to see my set up at close hand are aghast at the comfort and practical aspects of my basecamp. I do it because I can. Keeping in mind I tend to be out for longer stretches than most.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I always make the same suggestions - never buy unless on sale, do your homework and do a lot of comparison with manufacturers and prices, check out the consumer's reports, ask people who own one and their experience - then if at all possible use someone else's credit card to purchase the same and don't tell the wife.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Which reminds me - I picked up a used Columbia Ice Crest tent in excellent condition today for $5.72, taxes included. I debated all of 26 and 1/2 seconds to purchase it on sight. It's up in the back yard now - perfect condition. I need to take "Roybrew" along with me to protect me against myself.

Roybrew

Holy cow!! What a deal! I would love to come up that way. I'm always interested in seeing other places, to see how much different the air smells, how different the weather is, even the different foliage. I do love the area I'm in, and I enjoy each season of it.

I remember a show that was selling a small generator. They had it on a fishing boat to keep the trolling motor batteries charged as they fished. It was small and very quiet. I'm sure it wasn't a power house, but I was impressed at it's performance.

Northern Dancer

Holy cow!! What a deal! I would love to come up that way. I'm always interested in seeing other places, to see how much different the air smells, how different the weather is, even the different foliage. I do love the area I'm in, and I enjoy each season of it.

I remember a show that was selling a small generator. They had it on a fishing boat to keep the trolling motor batteries charged as they fished. It was small and very quiet. I'm sure it wasn't a power house, but I was impressed at it's performance.
----> Actually, it was $7.99, but Tuesdays at Value Village I get 30% off bringing it down to $5.59. Absolutely nothing the matter with it. Everything that is supposed to be there was. I'm planning to use it for our trip to Red Pine in August.

DeltaForcePower

I think having an extremely quiet portable generator is the way to go when you're camping. That way, you can enjoy nature and still have some of the luxuries that power requires. Here's a super quiet, portable generator that is awesome for camping and outdoor events: portable solar generator

Northern Dancer

...I think you are right "DeltaForcePower" but taking that on a canoe trip might be problematic. :Frown2: I do have a solar power unit by Goal Zero that I reserve for basecamp. It is more compact than the one you illustrate but it works well for me. I'm able to power my DVD, DV's, lights, radio, etc. But then again...I'm more than content not to have any of these devices. In fact, we have organized trips that demand absolutely everything we need goes into one pack per person - nothing more and nothing less.

ppine

Forester
What do you need to run on electricity when you are camping?
A small solar panel is okay for charging appliances.
A generator is all wrong for tent camping.
I have a generator that I bought for RV camping but rarely ever use it

ppine

Forester
I slept in the trailer last night in the back yard with my dog. It is a good way to get away from the Tv and computers. I read about the recent crossing of the Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck and his brother with 3 draft mules, and an old Schutter wagon. Just me and the dog with some battery operated lights for reading. Splendid. Going back out tonight.

I heard the neighbors horses knicker a few times and some coyotes. Those were the only sounds. At first light a rooster, then after I was up for awhile I heard the neighbors two donkeys going off. My girl brought me coffee from the house.

Northern Dancer

I slept in the trailer last night in the back yard with my dog. It is a good way to get away from the Tv and computers. I read about the recent crossing of the Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck and his brother with 3 draft mules, and an old Schutter wagon. Just me and the dog with some battery operated lights for reading. Splendid. Going back out tonight.

I heard the neighbors horses knicker a few times and some coyotes. Those were the only sounds. At first light a rooster, then after I was up for awhile I heard the neighbors two donkeys going off. My girl brought me coffee from the house.
-----> It all sounds romantic in a masculine kind of way. Dunno - but you might enjoy "The Last Crossing" by Guy Vanderhaeghe ISBN 0-7710--8737-3. I miss my dog, Reese, like crazy. Best wishes to you.

Northern Dancer

...there are all kinds in the market place today. You might want to start with Goal Zero a brand that met my needs.

Roybrew

Good morning Rick, yes they do look awesome. I've thought about getting a solar panel like the goal zero. I'm not out in secluded areas that often where I have no means of power supply. But if I ever do, solar power cell would be the way to go.

Northern Dancer

I have a system that powers inside tent lighting and I can watch a video on my portable DVD player. I have the solar power night lights when I feel a need to have those. I use this system when I'm out for periods longer than seven days.

2925 2926 These are the night lights that I use at the moment; made by Luminaid.

Roybrew

That's neat! So they are solar charged, power storage and light. Are they heavy? Really cool things out there now days. All a person needs to do is get out there and try them out.

Northern Dancer

That's neat! So they are solar charged, power storage and light. Are they heavy? Really cool things out there now days. All a person needs to do is get out there and try them out.
=====> They are lightweight. The large one has a cord for a quick charge using a car outlet. The larger square one has three lighting levels and will last for some time. I usually put them on at dusk until 7:ish.

ppine

Forester
This time of year when the days are short and the sun angle is low I might bring a generator for camping in an RV. Then there would be sufficient power for lights and to run the furnace once in awhile. Darkness is the hardest thing about winter camping. I like to bring some solar lights to put around camp so people don;t trip over stuff.