When will it all end...??

Pathfinder1

Hi...

By now, many...if not most of you...have come to realize that there are at least half a dozen or more of 'survival', etc. types of TV shows which take place in Alaska...with some others taking place in Canada, and NW Washington. They just keep coming...!!

Do any of you have favorite 'survival'-type shows...and how believable do you find them to be...??

I'm really turned of by most of them...they're just too obviously scripted...or otherwise unreal...!!

oldsarge

It beats the hell out of watching "Wives of Beverly Hills". Of course it's scripted...it's TV! We all have to remember that these are a series based on showing what one could "possibly do" in a given situation. They are not documentaries. I could do without all the drama and BS

Grandpa

I don't watch much TV to begin with and from the little I have seen of these type shows, certainly wouldn't waste my time watching them. There is always some new trick to be learned but those shows usually aren't the school. I like to listen to the voices of experience. I've had a few experiences but others have had different experiences and I listen close when they relate how they survived. I recently read through a boy scout manual and remembered little tricks that I used when young but had been forgotten over the years.

bsmit212

I really only watch them now if there is something to the show other than survival. Shows like Ultimate Survivor Alaska cause it is fun to watch the race part or Dude your screwed is another fun one.

Cappy

Like Sarge said I watch them when I watch tv cause they are far more entertaining than those other reality shows. I aint into those race thighs amazing or not and those peeping tom shows like big brother. So I watch and every once in a while pick up a tid bit I didn't know.

oldsarge

Another way to look at it is like this.Those of us who for what ever reason don't get out and do what we really enjoy, shows like this are entertaining, at least we can watch and enjoy the scenery, sit back like those arm chair quarterbacks and criticize the show or learn a little something. I for one don't get out anymore, to watch these shows, I can at least stir up some good memories.

For those of you who talk the talk & walk the walk, those who spend ample time in the out doors living and learning...why would you watch these shows? You are above and beyond all this. Most of you (ppine, Grandpa, Dinosaur to name a few) have most likely forgotten more than most of those on TV think they know. Since we all can't hang with you all, we have to settle for TV...and that kinda sucks the big one!

dinosaur

troublemaker
In my life I've had to survive under some very nasty conditions. As a result, I do not watch these types of shows. My picture is still very clear and I do not need to be reminded.

ppine

Forester
OldSarge,
Thanks for the kind words. I watch a few of these shows because there are some really talented people on them. Matt Graham is by far my favorite for survival shows. The more documentary ones like Life Below Zero and Yukon Men are very interesting. Dude You're Screwed has some talented people. There is always a lot to be learned especially watching people that live in the North or are stuck in the jungle somewhere for instance.

Pathfinder1

Another way to look at it is like this.Those of us who for what ever reason don't get out and do what we really enjoy, shows like this are entertaining, at least we can watch and enjoy the scenery, sit back like those arm chair quarterbacks and criticize the show or learn a little something. I for one don't get out anymore, to watch these shows, I can at least stir up some good memories.

For those of you who talk the talk & walk the walk, those who spend ample time in the out doors living and learning...why would you watch these shows? You are above and beyond all this. Most of you (ppine, Grandpa, Dinosaur to name a few) have most likely forgotten more than most of those on TV think they know. Since we all can't hang with you all, we have to settle for TV...and that kinda sucks the big one!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Sarge, I'm really sorry to hear you don't get out much anymore. I thank God every day that I'm still able to go out and do what I get away with still. If I could give up a part of my abilities to get you out there, I'd probably do it. You hang in there. This too shall pass.