Which do you perfer, GPS or a map

Wild Bill

Now a days you don't need a map and compass to find your way around an unfamiliar area, you can use a GPS (Global Positioning System). While I understand how GPS works and why people would prefer using one over a map and compass, I like doing things the old fashioned way.

Both have there pros and cons, but which do you prefer and why?

jason

fear no beer
I must admit, my map skills are not the greatest. I do believe if you are going into new areas you have never been too you should bring a map if you bring a GPS. You never know when equipment will break or batteries will run out.

Taggart

I've only had limited experience with GPS and that was while driving. I'm fairly comfortable with a map.

I think I'd prefer trying to navigate with a map, but I think it would be a great idea to have a GPS system as a backup in case of an emergency.

Coyote Uglee

I like GPS because it tells you exactly where you are. You don't have to figure out where you are or which way you are going it just tells you. That way I don't have to worry about getting lost. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

jason

fear no beer
I'd like a GPS to participate in geocaching, but the thing about a map is that it never runs out of battery power! lol
*warning thread hijack in progress*

Have you tried the geocaches where you have to help move the object towards a goal? I was thinking about trying that out. Maybe send some to some members here.

2coastcamper

*warning thread hijack in progress*

Have you tried the geocaches where you have to help move the object towards a goal? I was thinking about trying that out. Maybe send some to some members here.
No, haven't gotten too in-depth like that. I didn't really have any interest in geocaching until like a couple of weeks ago when you brought it up in that message you sent me. I think it's a great activity to do on a road trip, or just to take an afternoon and find one near your house. Luckily for me, my fiancee is just as amped about it as I am.

Newanderthal

I use a GPS for 2 things. 1) Geocaching. 2) taking readings along trails and noting the locations of scenic spots, drinkable water, access points and points of interest so I can write detailed reviews of the trail and share the info.

When checking out a new place, I prefer a map over a GPS. If I let my map skills slip and rely too heavily on the GPS, I could find myself in a jam if batteries died or the GPS was left behind. I prefer to keep the basic skills sharp and only use the fancy gadgets occasionally. I'd rather not be dependent on a technology that could fail me.

Coyote Uglee

I'm hearing all this talk about geocaching, but what is it? What do you do? And why would you prefer to use a GPS for it rather than a map?

Where can you do it? How long does it take or is it up to the people doing it?

oldsarge

Even though I use a GPS, I always get a map of the area I'm going to be in and keep at least 2 high quality compasses on me. I've had GPS's fail before and a map has always saved the day. I mainly use the GPS for geocaching and use a program called GoeBuddy to print out custom Topo maps of any area. I also have the option of printing satellite or urban photo maps of any scale I chose. These maps are customizable with or with out grid lines in UTM MGRS Long/lat etc. I'm sure there are other programs available but this is one I chanced upon when I first started Geocaching and have stuck with it because it serves the purpose well. Even though My GPS has Topo maps on it, they don't compare to a real map. Plus having a map out helps me keep those land navigation skills honed. I try to use terrain association while hiking just to keep my eye keen to the lay of the land. GPS's are great to mark points of interest. I've kept mine turned off in my pack and only pulled it out to confirm my location. GPS's are a fun tool to have but I have seen folks rely on them way too much, then when a malfunction occurs they work far harder than need be to get out trouble. Always have a map!

Last edited:

le Metis

7.5 topo maps, compass, watch, and a homemade kamal - now, and then I'll just use the GPS to fix my position, but after that, it's all map work. Often times ignoring the compass using only terrain association for travel.
The problem with GPS for the first time user is not knowing that they can only plot a straight line course often requiring sets of waypoints. Without a map, the GPS is at best blind for this task....
The other problem with GPS is that terrain can be a factor in acquiring a lock on. For those times when the GPS won't acquire, I'll use my watch (set in 24 hour time) having noted sunrise and sunset times to determine zenith noon which will provide latitude. On a north-south trail, the trail becomes a line of longitude requiring only the latitude to fix a position.

Last edited: