Wilderness Awareness School

Simplify

I haven't gone myself. I checked it out online and it looks very good. There are other similar schools in other states also.

Grandpa

I too have no experience with them or any other school except the school of hard knocks my father and brothers conducted. I also checked out Wilderness' on line and agree with Simplify, they look like they have a good program.

I have run across NOLS groups a couple of times and I'm impressed with their program. But with NOLS, it's all or nothing. Out you go for 30 days or whatever and you are well trained when you survive to the finish. With wilderness, it looks like you can take several short courses and build from there.

Grandpa

To me, these schools are like the firearm training schools such as Frontline. A lot of money and excellent training but similar training can be had by joining good local clubs, and going out and trying things step by step. There is so much concerning survival that needs to be addressed. It starts with physical and mental strength. Both are enhanced as the training progresses but you have to be in good physical shape to begin and you have to have a mental toughness to match.

Working with 12-13 year old boy scouts has shown me there is a huge difference at that age. Whats that old saying? "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that matters". It takes a lot of mental toughness to go on a limited diet for a day or two, let alone a whole week or longer.

ppine

Forester
I have had ex-NOLS instructors on my field crews and they have been very dependable and mentally tough people, especially the women.

Cappy

I just came from my wilderness training class. Today's lesson was on fire ants. When it rains they like all things head for high ground. The available high ground is usually the mound that naturally occurs around trees and raised planter beds like gardens and flowerbeds. Since they just ran there they may not have built mounds yet and are hard to detect. If you are not aware of this trait you may find your self swarmed by the nasty buggers as ya take a break against a shade tree since it is the dry spot to park ya tookus or maybe while doing a lil weeding in ya garden box. It was a good class and I was reminded a valuable hint. The class was in my back yard and I continue to learn or be reminded valuable things there. The cost of admission was free and the knowledge and experience is priceless.