Winter Solstice Eve Camping Trip

vinovampire

For the past few weeks, I've been thinking about camping out on the eve of the Winter Solstice. I noticed that the solstice would be on a Sunday this year and it would be a new moon, which seemed like perfect timing for this trip. As the date approached, things seemed ideal. We've had a good amount of snow this year and the weather forecast for the weekend was looking ideal--clear sky, 20 degrees F, and very little wind.

On Saturday, I headed out to the location that I had picked to visit on this trip. As I approached the area, it looked magical. I just had to pull the car over at a turn-off and snap a quick picture.

Approach for the Trip, December 2014

When I got to the trailhead it was clear that nobody had been on the trail for several weeks. The snow on the trail was completely unbroken and all of the trees were heavily laden with snow.

Unbroken Trail, December 2014

I hiked for a bit and took in all of the views. The snow was deep and varied quite a bit as I walked along--some was powdery, some was wet and heavy, some was crusty. Just as I expected, it was slow going, breaking trail.

Findings Views along the Trail, December 2014

Finally, as evening approached, I started looking for a good campsite. The branches of the trees were so heavy with snow that it took a little while to find a good site. Eventually I found the perfect spot. It was nicely tucked away in a sheltered, protected spot with an amazing, open view of the sky.

Campsite in the Woods, December 2014

Sunset at Camp, December 2014

Campsite in the Woods during the Long, Long Night, December 2014

Morning View of the Sky from the Campsite, December 2014

View in the Morning on the Hike Out from Camp, December 2014

The sun set at 4:15 PM and didn't rise until 7:23 AM, so it was a long, long dark night, but really beautiful. Overnight I had an incredible view of the night sky! :) There was no moon, no wind, and a perfectly clear sky for most of the night. The temperature held steady all night at a pleasant 16 degrees F. I slept with the tent door completely open so I could see the thousands of stars. It was magical!!!

I stayed up for quite a while drinking hot chocolate, watching the stars, and meditating. There was no sound. The heavy snow dampened any noises. It was interesting to not hear anything besides the sounds of my own breath. I was overwhelmed with happiness.

In the morning a layer of clouds started to drift into the area, which was great. As the sun rose there was a crazy light show of purples overhead. I made a delicious breakfast, messed around for a few hours, and then took a leisurely hike back to my car.

Overall, everything went perfectly. It couldn't have been a better way to welcome in the first day of winter. I'm looking forward to a great, cold, snowy season full of adventure. I hope all of you enjoyed this trip report, and that you get a chance to head outdoors and enjoy this winter season. Best wishes!

vinovampire

@ponderosa and @Grandpa I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the trip report. I hope it brings enjoyment and inspiration to those who read it here at the Outdoor Basecamp. I know that just looking at my pictures makes me want to get back outside again for another adventure. Happy holidays!

Simplify

Sounds like you had a perfect hike out there. I remember winter camping in the Whites of New Hampshire when I lived in NE.

I just did a few days on the AZ trail section in Superior AZ. It was a biking/hiking combo. I rode my mountain bike down route 60 to the trailhead and went in. Same thing, spectacular views of the stars at night and the pleasant quietness. I wanted to stay out longer but unfortunately couldn't find water anywhere.

vinovampire

Sounds like you had a perfect hike out there. I remember winter camping in the Whites of New Hampshire when I lived in NE.
It was a magical little trip. Vermont and New Hampshire are really fun places during the winter. I hope to get out for another overnight in VT during January and then NH is February or early March. The winter seems to go by so fast when you ski, snowshoe, camp and skate! Not enough time for all the adventures I want to do each season. :)

I just did a few days on the AZ trail section in Superior AZ. It was a biking/hiking combo. I rode my mountain bike down route 60 to the trailhead and went in. Same thing, spectacular views of the stars at night and the pleasant quietness. I wanted to stay out longer but unfortunately couldn't find water anywhere.
Sounds fun! I'd love to start doing some bike/hike or kayak/hike combos this summer. Would love to get to Arizona or New Mexico sometime this year too. If that comes together I might have some questions about water.

:camp1:

How great will it be the day that we have small devices that can reclaim our sweat and pee, and change it into drinking water? Maybe someday.