Winter Tent Test coming up

Northern Dancer

3893 New Camp Flag for 2023

I will be testing this four-season tent by Gonex at the beginning of February. Just $23.14 American. It has an inner tent that can be attached for summer use. It has a stove jack so one can use a wood stove. I would probably use a Buddy Heater if need be. The front entrance canopy can be fully open (as shown) or you could close it and have either the right or left side open.

Surprisingly enough the reports have been far better than expected. However, I've always been my own judge. How do you think I will fair? Gotta admit I'm taking a real chance here but I'm up to the challenge as I have other resources. Will the $23.14 price tag wow me if in fact, it is as good as they say? Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Roybrew

I like the flag, pretty nifty looking. Don't know anything about the tent tho. Never heard of that brand, but It may fair well. I think most inexpensive tents do fairly well for a season or two. I wouldn't put it to the extreme weather test tho. I'd like to understand the types of tent materials and waterproof coatings. I read the tent manufacturer descriptions about how their tents have yada yada stuff like 3500 PU coating and such. How is a person supposed to know if you understand what it is or how it's measured? There might be some little ole feller at the factory with a can of tent water proof spray just spritzing it on some fabric, and his boss complaining about how much over spray the employee is wasting.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

ppine

Forester
Next month I will be testing a new Kodiak 6.5 x 8 tent. No stove hole but it would be easy enough to add one.
I think a little Buddy Heater will work in a small canvas tent.

Roybrew

I would guess the Buddy heater should work great in that tent. My big tent has all that breathable Mosquito netting all over the top and then covered by the rain fly, and it gets the chill out on a cold morning.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

Next month I will be testing a new Kodiak 6.5 x 8 tent. No stove hole but it would be easy enough to add one.
I think a little Buddy Heater will work in a small canvas tent.
=====> I like Kodiak products. They have one that I am particularly interested in. Tell us more about your selection.

Northern Dancer

There is a weather vortex coming our way next weekend. I casually put the sleeping bag back on the shelf and took down the other winter bag [- 25 degrees Fahrenheit] and hope to stay warm. Ya, I'll be taking along the Buddy Heater. Getting dressed in the morning in frigid conditions requires some form of warmth. I'll be putting heat pads into my boots for the night too - nothing like putting cold toes into a warm boot.

We have had a lot of snow these last few days - more than we have had all winter to date. Walked around the Grand this morning taking candid photos.

Footpath across the River. A paved path along the Riverside. The River looks calm and peaceful. The Grand takes you to Lake Erie about 193 miles.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Canvas tents are much warmer than nylon tents. They breathe a lot better. It is surprising that they last so long.
My wall tent was purchased in Denver in 1982. The Sunforger canvas duck is not affected much by UV light. It is still a solid tent.

The new Kodiak is the smallest tent they make 6.5 x 8 feet. I went for portability since I have some large heavy tents.

ppine

Forester
I don't know what to make of a tent that costs $23. The design would be okay in warm and dry conditions.
In cold and wet, closed up it looks clammy.

Roybrew

We grew up camping in a canvas tent. Mom Dad had one they purchased in the late 60's, probably thru Sears and Roebuck, like most other things. It was maybe 10 by 10. My sister acquired it after we grew up. I still remember the smell and my Mom saying, "Don't you dare put your finger against that canvas when it's raining!".
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

The reality today is there are so many choices and products to choose from that it takes a bit of research to come up with the rationale to buy.

I had a canvas tent - but it was simply not practical for tripping. I have five tents in my inventory at the moment. I haven't included this new one until it's been tested. I don't have a lot of expectations and I do have a backup plan should things go wrong.

The temperatures are expected to drop considerably this weekend. - 13 Faharent which is considerably colder than usual. I have paid particular attention to my sleep system.

Northern Dancer

And speaking of sleep system.

① Kneeler rug,
② [on top of tent foot]
③ low cot,
④ four-inch mattress,
⑤ sleeping bag and Insert,
⑥ small pillow,
⑦ sleeping socks,
⑧ flannel pajamas,
⑨ sweater,
⑩ sleep balaclava,
⑪ soft gloves,
⑫ ●super warmers with protector bag,
and ⑬ night bottle. [I ain't getting outta no warm sleeping bag to pee.]

I place one of these at the bottom of the sleeping bag.
As you can see they last for 18 hours.
I put the 10 hour ones into my boots to keep them toasty.

This year I have a heated vest. I'm a little skeptical but what the heck, you only live once. The battery is rechargeable and it has three settings. I don't plan to turn the heat on unless really necessary. The low this weekend is expected to drop to -13 Fahrenheit.